Cary, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-20
Hi, long time reader, first time poster. I have a fiberglass pool and spa (approx. 18,000 gallons combined) and the cement around the pool will be undergoing some minor repair work. I am considering using this as an opportunity to add an automatic water filler, such as the Pentair T40-F with the Fluidmaster valve. The water level in my pool has reached the coping a few times during heavy rains, and the summer heat can evaporate the water pretty quickly. It would be nice to have something to keep everything at the right level. I already have a water source nearby and a good slope in my yard to connect the overflow drain, so my question is really about winterization. I leave my pool open all year here in NC, as we only get a few freezing days and the filter has a winter mode to keep the water moving. However, I am not sure if this type of device is capable of withstanding the occasional freezing temperature, or if it needs to have all water removed and closed off during the winter. The other option would be to install a passive drain, but my only concern is that the drain would need to be extremely high, practically touching the coping to avoid water from constantly going in there when the kids are splashing around in the pool. Does anyone have any experience with either and potential issues they've run into with them, especially with the automatic water fillers during the colder months?

Welcome to TFP.

You would need to winterize the water line to your filler if you will get below freezing temperatures.

Thanks, that shouldn't be a problem. Would the overflow function still be able to work, or would the winterization process require me to remove all sitting water from within the unit?

Thanks, that shouldn't be a problem. Would the overflow function still be able to work, or would the winterization process require me to remove all sitting water from within the unit?

I am not sure of the exact design of the unit you are talking about.

You don't want water sitting when it freezes as the ice will expand and crack what it is in. You can winterize it like a skimmer and put foam in it to provide a crush zone for the ice to expand into.

You also have to see if there is water standing in the pipe that can expand when frizen and if the pipe needs to be blown out and winterized.

Thanks for the replies. It sounds like the better option for me then would be to use a simple passive drain installed on the pool wall just under the coping. This would allow me to have the drain continue to function in the winter when the pool is left open.

You can have the overflow drain pipe plugged at the pool wall and just unplug when heavy precip is expected, this way you won't loose water to splashing kids but I'm not familiar with those and they may possibly have a termination piece there that won't allow a plug.

I went with a standard 1.5" pool outlet connected to schedule 40 flex with a slight pitch away from the pool to lower ground. I also added a Hayward SP1026 as a cover. Now the water level is maintaining perfectly every time it rains, even in winter. Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.