Automatic vacuum help! Pump keeps losing its prime!

Jormor1991

Apr 14, 2020
Baton Rouge, LA
I have an Intex 14ft X 42 Prism Frame Pool with an Intex 28633EG Krystal Clear Cartridge Filter Pump, 2500 GPH. I just recently bought a pre owned Wanda the Whale Hayward automatic vacuum for the pool. I got that model because I just happened to come across it for $40. I am having a hard time getting her to run because of issues with the pump. After doing a little research on these forums, I used the flow reduction adapter on one of the intakes and plugged Wanda directly to the other. I have a leaf basket and made sure that there was no air in the hoses before plugging her in. I watched her go for about 15 minutes and she did fine. So I left for about an hour and then came back to check. The pump was still running, but Wanda was stopped and there was NO water coming out of the return. I turned the pump off immediately and took Wanda out of the water. After doing more research on the forum, I found that the pump may be putting out too much water and not taking enough in, therefore starving the pump essentially. Is there a way to fix this? I also read something about covering the vacuum air pressure valve thingy (don’t really know what it’s called) would that solve my problem? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
Welcome to TFP. These older threads may help you with the vacuum air pressure valve.

the valves should of come with a clear cap that you can put on the safety valves. If not i bought a variety pack of vacuum caps from the auto parts store and put one on mine and no problems. You could even duct tape them or wrap them with some plastic.