Automatic timer not staying on

jcrew6311

Apr 11, 2020
Arizona
Just bought a Costco best way 12x22 above ground pool. Came with a sand filter pump. I noticed it didn't have a timer on it like a video I saw of it on YouTube for setup. I went to home Depot to buy an outdoor timer so it would turn on at dusk for 6-8 hours and then turn off. Well, turns out it won't turn on until you manually press reset on the plug in that comes from the water pump. This has eliminated my need to go out in the morning to check on it as it will turn off after 6-8 hours, but I'd rather not have to go outside every night and push reset to turn it on. Any ideas?

There are automated button pushers when they become available again...

That's pretty cool. However, can you think of a reason why it isn't just staying on reset?

Likely a safety feature. In case power is lost and comes back on they don't want the pump running. That's what the manufacturer decided to do.

It’s the GFCI device that you are dealing with. Apparently code now requires portable GFCI devices to disconnect when they are disconnected from power.

The GFCI is an important safety device, especially considering that the pool pump is used around water, however if you are plugging the pump into a GFCI protected outlet then it is also redundant. You could replace the GFCI device on the end of the power cord with a normal plug. However, to reiterate, the GFCI is an important safety device, so you do need to realize that there are some risks involved in doing this. And again, I would only even consider doing it if your pump was plugged into a GFCI protected outlet.

Reactions: Pv2
So is everyone who buys this pool stuck with manually turning on the pump?

Most likely they just leave the pump running all the time. The very small pumps that come with those pools that don’t have built in timers don’t really use a lot of electricity. Depending on the cost of electricity where you are it’s likely not much more than $10 or 15 to run that pump 24/7. It might not really be worth putting it on a timer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.