Auto cleaner getting stuck under above ground pool steps

Brett S

Mar 15, 2019
Orlando
So I have the cheap little intex pressure side auto cleaner and every few days it manages to get itself stuck under my steps.
A5DD0BE7-22AA-4804-B643-B54B251E9B61.jpeg
Sometimes it will get stuck like that and sometimes it will make it all the way through, but then it’s hose will go under the steps and it can’t get to the rest of the pool. Once it managed to get through and pull through enough hose that it completely wrapped itself around the steps and then got stuck under them.

Here are the steps:
89DD0A6C-4FCA-437F-BCC6-2345BBDFFB64.jpeg
I’m thinking I could just put something under the steps to block the cleaner from going under them but I have no idea what. Something that can stay permanently in the water and either be attached to the steps or be heavy enough that it won’t float away.

Any brilliant ideas?

Brett S

Mar 15, 2019
Orlando
That’s a great idea. You are very wise:). I think I will do just that, although I may go with 2” pipe and sand instead of concrete.

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
You know your cleaner best....I don't want it to be able to push or roll over the pipe which is why I said 3" and concrete. Have fun making it and share a pic when you get done. :hug:

Kim:kim:

Brett S

Mar 15, 2019
Orlando
The cleaner isn’t super strong, but after I got to the store and started getting some 2 inch fittings I decided to go with 3 inches. I think 2 inches probably would have been ok, but on the off chance that it wasn’t I didn’t want to do it again with 3 inch pipe.

I built the pipe structure and filled it with the better part of a 50lb bag of sand and put it in place.

28E82487-65EA-49EF-BD96-E5B9C6D4B99A.jpeg
48178324-5487-4529-B032-75288D1EF0BD.jpeg

It seems pretty well planted in place, but I’ll give it a few days and see how it does. If the cleaner does manage to move it then I’ll try to figure out some way to attach it to the steps. I think I’m gonna be ok though.

Brett S

Mar 15, 2019
Orlando
How do you clean under the steps?
I have no idea. It’s a new pool, so I’ll have to see how much stuff builds up under there. Right now the little pipe thing I added isn’t attached to anything, so it could be pulled out to clean under there if I need to.

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
I will tell you that as wide open as those steps are it will not be too much of a problem. Every once in a while you can just brush under there to get anything out.

Brett S

Mar 15, 2019
Orlando
Well, apparently I underestimated the strength of my cleaner. I checked it a few times today and all seemed well, but a few minutes ago I discovered that it had managed to put my block 6 inches to one side and had gotten itself stuck again.

So, after two gigantic zip ties and a lot of deep breaths I’ve managed to attach my contraption to the steps in the hopes that this will keep it in place.

Brett S

Mar 15, 2019
Orlando
Well, it’s been 24 hours and the cleaner hasn’t moved my pipes or gotten stuck. I’ll give it another few days just to be sure, but I think the problem might be fixed :)

• Love
Reactions: kimkats

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
My husband will tell you that anything I come up with is hair brained BUT most of them end up working of leads to something that will work! :roll: LOL