Ascorbic Acid Treatment

The AA serves to as a reducing agent to remove the iron stains from the surface. Once that is done it won't remove anymore. And then as you start to add Chlorine initially it will only react with the residual AA. So the whole reason for the Polyquat was to have an alternative algaecide in the water until your FC levels will hold again. I think you will be fine until Friday (two days).. They (the Poylquat people) recommend maintenance does weekly and you will have your sequestrant by then. I would just keep the pH as stable as possible.. We are not expecting any NorCal weather extremes in the next few days.. so let it ride! ;)

We are not expecting any NorCal weather extremes in the next few days.. so let it ride! ;)
Did you not watch KTVU this morning? They say there is a "wind event" coming :LOL: Don't tell the people with hurricane and tornados what we consider extreme wind, lol. I have the aquabot running 24/7 right now with the solar cover on. Hopefully it will pick up anything that blows into the pool relatively quickly.
If the wrong stuff shows up again, I swear I will drive to the Oakley Amazon warehouse myself to get the right one off the shelf. Although in their defense the box was labeled correctly.

Letting it ride!

At least they got the bottle part correct. I ordered a Qt bottle of pool stuff from Walmart once and they sent me a 25 lb bag of Calcium up! I knew they had it screwed up from the day I got the shipping info... how could a quart bottle of liquid weigh 26 lbs! I thought the Amazon shipments for the bay area come out of Tracy? that is where we get ours.

Once you add the sequesterant and start to add in FC back to the pool, you'll need to have sort of a "SLAM" mentality. The AA will eat the FC almost like ammonia does. It will be gone within an hour tops, so you have to keep dosing it over and over until it finally starts to hold for a few hours. It really depends on how much AA you used. I did a treatment with around 5 Lbs of AA in my 20k gallon pool and needed almost 10 cases of 10% liquid chlorine before the FC was finally back to normal. I would shoot for 3 - 4ppm of FC initially and on each top up after you test the water as much as possible.

I used 2 quarts of Metal Magic sequesterant initially after the AA and then I would use half a quart every month for maintenance afterwards. Turned out pretty darn nice.

After AA treatment:

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: mguzzy and kne
Once you add the sequesterant and start to add in FC back to the pool, you'll need to have sort of a "SLAM" mentality. The AA will eat the FC almost like ammonia does. It will be gone within an hour tops, so you have to keep dosing it over and over until it finally starts to hold for a few hours. It really depends on how much AA you used. I did a treatment with around 5 Lbs of AA in my 20k gallon pool and needed almost 10 cases of 10% liquid chlorine before the FC was finally back to normal. I would shoot for 3 - 4ppm of FC initially and on each top up after you test the water as much as possible.

I used 2 quarts of Metal Magic sequesterant initially after the AA and then I would use half a quart every month for maintenance afterwards. Turned out pretty darn nice.
That looks beautiful!
I currently have 4 cases ready to go. I learned that the last time around how fast it goes at first. I definitely was not at generous with the AA this time around, I used a pound for 7,400. My staining was very minimal luckily.

Did you not watch KTVU this morning? They say there is a "wind event" coming :LOL: Don't tell the people with hurricane and tornados what we consider extreme wind, lol. I have the aquabot running 24/7 right now with the solar cover on. Hopefully it will pick up anything that blows into the pool relatively quickly.
If the wrong stuff shows up again, I swear I will drive to the Oakley Amazon warehouse myself to get the right one off the shelf. Although in their defense the box was labeled correctly.

Letting it ride!
I ordered stabilizer and started pouring it in the hair net and wondered why it was so fine..Then read the bag ( which looks the same ) and it said PH UP!!!!
I have to add Acid to keep my PH down so wasn't happy. Luckily I didn't pour much in

• Wow
Reactions: mguzzy and kne
I thought the Amazon shipments for the bay area come out of Tracy? that is where we get ours.
Oakley is the newest. I think it opened last year, it's within 25 miles from me. It seems like stuff filters through Tracy to the more local locations for delivery. Before Oakley, most of my stuff would deliver from Richmond.

Oakley is the newest. I think it opened last year, it's within 25 miles from me. It seems like stuff filters through Tracy to the more local locations for delivery. Before Oakley, most of my stuff would deliver from Richmond.
Copy that!.. they are always adding new distribution centers.

That looks beautiful!
I currently have 4 cases ready to go. I learned that the last time around how fast it goes at first. I definitely was not at generous with the AA this time around, I used a pound for 7,400. My staining was very minimal luckily.
hmm I didn't go through as much liquid Cl as I thought I would. The AA does breakdown a bit. And maybe I was using my SWG as well to make up for the difference.

Mark G probably stole your package so he can do another AA treatment. 😇
Actually I have AA left over! More than half of my 8lb bucket.. What am I going to do with it. I don't do that much canning .. maybe there is a mixed drink that takes it.. or some home made Fruit Fresh ordinances for the 4th of July! We should make an AA surplus fund where all the left over AA goes and others can withdraw from it as they get iron stains. @Newdude has a huge backyard we can stick it there.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Actually I have AA left over! More than half of my 8lb bucket.. What am I going to do with it. I don't do that much canning .. maybe there is a mixed drink that takes it.. or some home made Fruit Fresh ordinances for the 4th of July! We should make an AA surplus fund where all the left over AA goes and others can withdraw from it as they get iron stains. @Newdude has a huge backyard we can stick it there.
I bought 5 pds when it was on sale and vacuumed sealed it for future use.

The sequestrant is in the pool. I repeat the sequestrant is in the pool!

I bought 5 pds when it was on sale and vacuumed sealed it for future use.

I have a sealed 5lb bag in my shed. We can start a store.

Did you get much of a "wind event"? I just have a bunch of leaves in the pool now 🍃🍁🍂
It was actually less windy here yesterday than it has been the entire past week. I think it was directed more to the North Bay, rather than us in the East. Thankfully. 🎉 I live in a section of town that makes it feel like you are in a wind tunnel for a few weeks a year, right around this time. The pool gets pummeled with stuff out of our neighbors trees. Then one day it's over with. Now if we can just get the temperature back into the mid-to high 80s, I'll quit complaining.

Reactions: markayash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.