Are there any professional companies that use foam instead of sand?

Russell23

May 4, 2020
New Orleans, LA
Hey y'all, I am curious about some of the foundations for the pool. I know the most important thing is to have the ground level. It seems like most people use a thin layer of sand to make the bottom of the pool smooth (not for leveling). It looks like sand is recommended in by these pros and these pros, and numerous other more DIY videos on youtube and in this forum. However I see LOTS of people in these forums recommending XPS foam. Are there any professional companies that use XPS foam instead of sand?

(ok full disclosure: we are setting up a pool and my partner and I are in disagreement about which one to use. He says that professional companies use sand, so we should use sand. I say that while sand would work, all these people on TFP forums prefer foam...and it would be much easier to lay foam than to truck in sand. I priced it out and cost would be comparable. I would love any input that could help settle this debate! And yes, even if that input proves me wrong ;))

The company I bought the pool from also assembled it. I already had 2” Owens Corning XPS cut and ready to go before they came and told them that no sand is needed.
They told me they had never done that before, but they were good sports about it.

I’m no expert but I don’t see how it would be possible to use sand under the liner and not end up with foot prints leaving a bumpy pool bottom.
With foam boards the pool bottom will be warmer, flatter and slightly, slightly soft, but, because I don’t think there’s a type of tape out there that sticks well to foam, you’ll probably have some foam board joints where the liner has a crevice.

I used gorilla extra wide tape n left it out in the elements for 2 weeks n it still stuck. I have to say, having both sand bottoms n now foam, I love the foam so far because it is so smooth. No humps at all n foot prints are nonexistent.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.