Are some pool chemicals that the salespeople push unnecessary?

Jane Karenin

Jul 28, 2020
Pittsburgh, PA
Hello! This summer I bought an Intext 10 by 24' frame pool for my backyard. I had been using the filter, cleaning the filter cartridge, and adding chlorine as per the pool instructions. When we went away for vacation a few weeks ago, I invited my good friends to bring their kids to swim whenever they wanted. They thought the water looked cloudy and went to the pool store and came back with 8 different chemicals and I really think that some of them might not be necessary. Can anyone help me out with this?

Thank you so much!
Jane

In a pool with good water management you can ignore phosphates and you don't need algaecide. Clarifier is also not needed. I didn't look up the rest but the tabs probably have CYA as well. A high CYA level will be a problem if you misuse the tabs.

What they purchased is Phos Out, All In 1 Filter Cleaner, Forever Clean, Forever Clear Algaecide, Forever Clear Clarifier, Aqua Prep 10, Tidal Wave 73, and Chlor-Guard Tabs. It's really a lot of things.
Oh my. Your friend's heart was in the right place, but their pocketbook got taken for a ride. You don't need any of those things. You can maybe use the cal-hypo, but that's about it. In fact, I'd go so far as to say see if they can return them or at the very least get store credit for something else like muriatic acid or liquid pool chlorine - something you'll actually need and use.

I leave my floater in but I'd probably take it out if I had kids in the pool. I usually only have one tab in it at a time. I'm careful not to put too much CYA into the pool. I doubt the chlorine concentration around the floater is that high but kids will be kids.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
But to go back to the reason they got that stuff in the first place - cloudy water. That means all the swimmers coupled with probably a low chlorine level resulted in an algae bloom starting. Jane, is that 10x24 pool under 3,000 gallons? If so, and if the water is cloudy, you may just need to dump it and refill. See our Guide for Seasonal/Temporary Pools - Trouble Free Pool for details on smaller pools.

If your pool is larger than 3K, be prepared to do a SLAM Process. Do you have a TF-100 (link below) or Taylor K-2006C test kit? That would be priority #1 if you don't.

Jane, below is a link to the only chemicals you need. Very simple and cheap. All that pool store junk is either not good for the water or over-priced stuff.

Jane, I realized in my excitement to post I stepped all over @DorsalSpine who was initially helping you. So I'm just going to step-back and leave you by saying "Welcome to TFP!" Also, make sure you go to our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and post back with any questions. Lots of folks here like DS who are eager to help.

Crazy suggestion, but instead of offending your friends by asking them to return it, can you take it to the store and say you got it as a gift and ask for store credit on something useful?

Andrew

Jane, I realized in my excitement to post I stepped all over @DorsalSpine who was initially helping you. So I'm just going to step-back and leave you by saying "Welcome to TFP!" Also, make sure you go to our ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry and post back with any questions. Lots of folks here like DS who are eager to help.
Not a problem for me, Texas Splash. You give good advice.

Reactions: Texas Splash

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.