Are pump prices about to go up due to demand?

thefloatqueen

Bronze Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
Columbus, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I just ordered a new above ground pool that will not be installed until April. I’m buying new equipment for it and want to get a nice new VS pump and cartridge filter. With everything going on, is the demand for new pool pumps and equipment driving up the prices due to the recent weather/electricity loss in Texas (and other states)? Just wondering if I need to pounce now or if this is something that can wait. Thanks in advance!!

Last edited:
I don't know? But also keep in mind that all new pool pumps over .7hp will June, by Federal law, be required to be variable speed.
I bet a lot of builders are doing their best to get rid of a lot of single speed pumps...cheaper? I dunno?

Maddie :flower:
Why is that? Such a weird law. I was planning on getting a VS pump regardless but the federal government has bigger things to worry about than our pool equipment Lmaooo

Reactions: Newdude

Legislation was passed in 2015, the Rule was finalized in 2017. Effective date is July 19, 2021.
Are folks who had single-speed pumps prior to the effective date grandfathered in? I just don’t see how they can control this lol. And I see single speed pumps still being sold everywhere. Interesting.

Are folks who had single-speed pumps prior to the effective date grandfathered in?
Yes. Only new purchases of pumps or replacement motors. This has essentially been in effect in California since 2005. A pool owner or maintenance company cannot technically buy a replacement motor for a pool pump that is over 1.1 THP.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Single speed pumps can still be sold for nonfiltration purposes.

So, they will probably not quit making them, but they will probably reduce the supply.

There are really very few applications where a full speed (3,450 rpm) pump is actually a good choice.

Many builders will probably still install 2 hp single speed Whisperflo pumps on waterfalls even though they are a horrible choice.

Feature pumps run at 1,750 rpm and are a viable option for water features.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
Can anyone please answer or give me your opinion on my original question?
There's really no way to tell.

They might raise or lower the price based on their perception of everyone's perception of what prices will do.

Things like this are not usually based on logic or reality.

It's like buying stock and people think that they can figure out which way prices will go even though most people can't do better than flipping a coin.

Reactions: thefloatqueen
I suspect that the last 10 months or so increased interest in home pools has already done what damage there is to prices. Availability is going to be the problem now. A Houston radio show had a pool repair guy on. He said parts were already short and this is going to exacerbate the problem. He also added that calls he is taking today are two weeks before he can get to even look at them. I'm hearing the same from plumbers. Everyone who used to be a plumber is rushing to renew their license, but they can't find the materials to do the work. It was practically a miracle that my burst backflow preventer was in stock at a local plumber's warehouse--although that was on Tuesday, before a lot of damage had been found. I'm thinking of letting my ice-broken Whisperflo "water feature" pump just sit and get a PVC line from my main variable speed pump to feed the water features. I hardly use them anyway, and I can put a valve there and run the variable speed pump at full speed when I want the bubblers and waterfall spills.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.