Holly Springs, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair iChlor 30
First, let me start by saying I love my VSP. It runs a lot quieter and saves a lot of electricity. But I have noticed that the bottom of my pool looks dirtier. There is more dirt and debris than when I was running a single speed pump.

My theory on this is that most dirt and debris gets a chance to get waterlogged and sink to the bottom before being skimmed from the surface. My skimmer still skims at lower speeds but at a lower efficiency. The way my pool is configured, there is a small circular water current created from the placement of the returns. In the deep end, the return is angled so water flows across the pool towards the skimmer. At high pump speeds, it flows pretty swiftly. Place a leaf or grass blade on the surface and it moves towards the skimmer. The higher water flow rate through the skimmer almost sucks it the rest of the way.

Now with the VSP at slower speeds, a leaf or grass blade is not pushed as fast or as far from the return. Then the lower flow rate through the skimmer means it doesn't get pulled into the skimmer unless it gets closer to the opening. This means that dirt or debris floating on the surface take more trips around the pool before entering the skimmer. That longer time frame results in some of it sinking before it has a chance to be skimmed.

That is not the fault of the VSP pump.

You choose the speed you run your VSP pump. If you want better skimming and cleaning then crank up the pump. Find the best speed and energy efficiency that gives you the cleaning you desire.

That is not the fault of the VSP pump.

You choose the speed you run your VSP pump. If you want better skimming and cleaning then crank up the pump. Find the best speed and energy efficiency that gives you the cleaning you desire.

I think you took it wrong. I'm not blaming the pump. More that the pool gets dirtier when you choose the run at lower speeds. If you're not going to run at lower speeds, why even get a VSP? Just a cause and effect observation. While there are a lot of upsides with running at lower speeds, keeping the pool clean is not one of them.

If you're not going to run at lower speeds, why even get a VSP? Just a cause and effect observation. W

1. As of last July the US DOE pretty much requires you to get a VS pump - Pump DOE Regulations - Further Reading

2. You will probably find an acceptable speed for skimming on your VS pump that is still more efficient then you had with a SS pump.

H,

What kind of cleaner do you use?? I use a low voltage robot and you will not find any dirt or debris on my pool floor..

I also have two rent house pools that initially had single speed pumps.. Both have been converted to VS pumps running at 1200 RPM.. I have not noticed any difference in how dirty the pool floor has been...

I do agree that skimming takes more patience when running a VSP at a low RPM.. I would think that things that are going to sink, sink right away, and things that float will float a pretty long time before sinking..

I know for sure that skimmers can "see you"... If I have one leaf floating in my pool and I watch it, it will never go near the skimmer.. But if I go inside for 10 minutes, when I come back out, the leaf will be in the skimmer.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude and borjis
I'm running most of the day at 1725 rpm (50% of max). Still, there is more dirt on the bottom. I used to vacuum once per week (every Saturday). Now it is several times per week. Again, it's just an observation. I'm not going to run up my electric bill just to vacuum less often.

Not sure what you are controlling the pump with, but I have an easy touch. I set it to start at 5:59am. At 6am, the schedule ups it to "high" for 30min. In the afternoon I have about an hour where another schedule does "high" for an hour, then at 6pm (I normally let my dogs swim when I am wrapping up my meetings for the day) I have it go to high for about 1.5 hrs to get all the dog hair, etc. It works well for me. But I am only confirming your observations. Skimmers are not as effective at lower RPMs. But my SWCG is working when the pump is on low, and there is SOME skimming happening, and there is filtering.

My pump runs 24 hours a day. There is always skimming because I have turned off the main drains. All water to the VSP goes through the skimmer and there is enough flow for the water to go over the weir door. It's just the dirt and debris needs to be near the weir door to be pulled in. Longer residence time floating around the pool gives it a chance to sink before being skimmed.

H,

What kind of cleaner do you use?? I use a low voltage robot and you will not find any dirt or debris on my pool floor..

I also have two rent house pools that initially had single speed pumps.. Both have been converted to VS pumps running at 1200 RPM.. I have not noticed any difference in how dirty the pool floor has been...

I do agree that skimming takes more patience when running a VSP at a low RPM.. I would think that things that are going to sink, sink right away, and things that float will float a pretty long time before sinking..

I know for sure that skimmers can "see you"... If I have one leaf floating in my pool and I watch it, it will never go near the skimmer.. But if I go inside for 10 minutes, when I come back out, the leaf will be in the skimmer.. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

It's in my signature. I have a Pentair Warrior SI. It works fine except for some high surface area to weight ratio debris (leaves). Just like you feel a pressure wave when a car displaces air as it whizzes by you, I can see the same thing with my robot when it displaces water as it moves. I watch the robot heading for a leaf and it floats out of the way as the robot nears it.

Now I can't put all the blame on the VSP. My daughter's dogs come over and puts a real fine dirt (mulch) into the pool from their fur. It takes a little while to settle to the bottom of the pool. Maybe when the dogs come over, I should crank up the RPMs in the hope it pulls more of the dirt into the sand filter.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.