Are my motors dead?

toph

Nov 15, 2012
I've got a Hayward RS2000 pump for the pool and a Polaris Booster Pump. I had electrical issues that my buddy was able to help me track down to a horribly wired electrical box that has a bad short. We bypassed everything in the electric box only leaving the pumps on the line for power. I thought my two timer boxes were broken due to the previous short, so without even testing the motors by bypassing the timers I bought new timers. Got them installed and both motors will not turn on. I've verified I'm getting power all the way to the motors, but don't know if I've killed the motors or if there is some sort of fuse within the motors. Both motors are wired for 240 volts. I can't find a fuse on either of them and fear I'm going to have to purchase new ones. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

do the motors make any sounds when trying to start? Like a hum?

There are no fuses per-se in the motor. There are thermal cut-outs but they're self resetting so that's not the problem. Are you familiar with using an ohm meter? If so then you should be able to check the windings for an open.

Bama Rambler
I do not hear a hum, but I also haven't gotten real close to check for that. I'll check that in the morning. I have an ohm meter, but sadly I don't know how to use it. I'll ask my buddy to show how to use it.

bobodaclown
I believe one or both of the motors has a 120V/240V switch, but unless the short flipped that, they should still be set to 240V.

I was mainly posting to find out if there is a fuse I couldn't find on the motors. My hope is that I was/am missing something because both motors are not working. I would feel more confident that one motor is dead if one of the two would worked. Can take pictures in the morning if you think it would help.

toph said:
Bama Rambler
I do not hear a hum, but I also haven't gotten real close to check for that. I'll check that in the morning. I have an ohm meter, but sadly I don't know how to use it. I'll ask my buddy to show how to use it.

[youtube:22l9jktp]bF3OyQ3HwfU[/youtube:22l9jktp]

EDIT - I looked at those first youtube's I posted - they sucked.
Try this new one.

IF the motor was humming loudly this test/fix would be what would be the first recommendation:

[youtube:3biynyq5]k-cVgpz7GYQ[/youtube:3biynyq5]

UnderWaterVanya said:
toph said:
Bama Rambler

[youtube:3tsgt4di]bF3OyQ3HwfU[/youtube:3tsgt4di]

EDIT - I looked at those first youtube's I posted - they sucked.
Try this new one.

That one is not bad, but I take umbrage with him discounting analog meters. I can kick an analog meter and tell you how many it is to an open in a wire. You are not going to be able to do that with a DMM. Same goes for any sort of fluctuating reading, analog will tell you a lot more. But yeah, for general purposes a DMM is just fine and that video is pretty good.

-dave

phonedave said:
That one is not bad, but I take umbrage with him discounting analog meters. I can kick an analog meter and tell you how many it is to an open in a wire. You are not going to be able to do that with a DMM. Same goes for any sort of fluctuating reading, analog will tell you a lot more. But yeah, for general purposes a DMM is just fine and that video is pretty good.

-dave

I agree - I have both types of meters and they each have their purpose. The general advice that most people should not buy an analog meter as their first choice is probably sound - but they aren't junk. In fact it is probably easier to test a capaciter for basic function using an analog meter...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Well I've been putting off the troubleshooting of this motor problem. I finally pulled the capacitor and it looks like it works, see photo of silver capacitor and multimeter. I pulled the back off the motor and found another capacitor (black). It has three wires attached with a total of four possible connections. Not sure how I go about testing this one. I won't lie capacitors scare me. So, with that I really want advise before I go testing different connections on this capacitor with my multimeter.

Attachments

• DSC02891.JPG
    DSC02891.JPG
    209.1 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC02893.JPG
    DSC02893.JPG
    248.3 KB · Views: 45
  • DSC02895.JPG
    DSC02895.JPG
    149.1 KB · Views: 45
It looks to me like the two yellow wires attach to a single clip box tab type connector. First take the multimeter in continuity mode and check to see if the two yellow wires are connected - I think they are. Then test just like you did the first one - using the terminal with the white wire as one side and the terminal with the two yellow wires as the other side.

That's all there is to it. Any precautions and draining you did on the silver one will be applicable to the black one. If you want to drain the cap more slowly get a large wattage resistor rather than a screw driver to tie the two sides of the capacitor together and drain the current out.

Yep the yellow wires were attached to a single clip box tab. So I tested the capacitor and it looks like it is working. Is there any way I can test the motor or does this mean my motor is pretty much dead?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.