AquaTrol has no lights nor display

frosken

Aug 1, 2020
Ottawa, Canada
First of all, this is an awesome forum!

I am trying to troubleshoot my AquaTrol control panel as we noticed that it didn't seem to produce chlorine.

Upon open the door, the instinct was correct: NO LEDs, NO DISPLAY.

With all the other older thread, and checking the AquaRite diagnostics manual, I am still back to square one.

1) I went step by step and I hit my issue at step H: no 5V on the display pins.
2) I tested the thermistor (through the R15).. It's good.
3) fuse is ok

It seems to lead that the board is bad, but I can't find any trace of damage. looking for any ideas before I buy a new board... :/

Please advise what I may have missed...and/or what I should check next...

P.S.: I have some beginner/intermediate electronic knowledge as I collect (and repair) pinball machines... :)

Thanks! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Most likely the 5vdc supply is missing. Fyi, the Aquatrol and Aquarite share the same onboard low voltage power supply circuit by design.
Locate TP-13 on the top right corner of the pcb and perform the 3 point voltage test as described in post#2 of this thread > Aquarite 940 no lights no display

If TP-13 reads zero volt, test the incoming red terminal for 31vdc, if ok...test the 24v and 5v regulator output. Post a good quality picture of the top right corner of your pcb if you cannot locate the test points.
For reference, see the low voltage power supply schematic diagram > Main Board Circuits & Components

Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the speedy replies.

ajw22: Thanks for the link. I did follow the AquaRite manual, which has the same steps and I don<t have the 5vdc for the display board.

C0d3Sp4c3: Thanks! I will check it out today, as soon as it's no longer raining cats and dogs...LOL

will keep all of you posted. :)

Most likely the 5vdc supply is missing. Fyi, the Aquatrol and Aquarite share the same onboard low voltage power supply circuit by design.
Locate TP-13 on the top right corner of the pcb and perform the 3 point voltage test as described in post#2 of this thread > Aquarite 940 no lights no display

If TP-13 reads zero volt, test the incoming red terminal for 31vdc, if ok...test the 24v and 5v regulator output. Post a good quality picture of the top right corner of your pcb if you cannot locate the test points.
For reference, see the low voltage power supply schematic diagram > Main Board Circuits & Components

I checked the thread and TP13 gives me 5V. TP14: ZERO.

I guess it is the U13/U14 repair that is required...unless you tell me otherwise! :)

thanks!

Good! Replace the U13, part# MAX809JTRG, Digi-Key MAX809JTRGSOSCT-ND.
But before you do, measure the TP-14 and Pin#4 (disp bd removed) resistance against R15. Make sure the measured resistance reading is in kilo or meg range and nowhere near zero ohms.

With my awesome luck, digikey part is back-ordered 'till the end of September.

Found a new motherboard "fairly cheap" which I should receive tomorrow. Will still order the digikey part when they have stock to fix the old MB.

crossing my fingers that the problem will be resolved! :)

thanks all

Thanks for the heads up with Mouser...$20 shipping (and possibly duty/taxes) for a $0.71 part sucks though...

I received the new motherboard yesterday and it (obviously) resolved the issue. I do shop fairly often to DigiKey (for my pinball machines) thus I will add the U13 in my next order when they have some stock. it is (unfortunately) easy to rack up $100 in parts and get free shipping w/o duty fees... ;) Then I'll have an extra motherboard if the new one fails ;)

cheers all and again, thanks to everyone for their assistance...

Reactions: mknauss

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.