Aquarite flow sensor

Bruinspats8620

Sep 4, 2020
Massachusetts
Hello, this past June I had a local company install a new filter, pump, and a SWG. I’m having an issue with the flow switch and my control panel saying there is flow and still generating chlorine even when my pump is off. If I pull the switch cable from the control panel it will light up no flow and turn off the generating light as it should.

I originally thought maybe it was just a bad switch so I bought a replacement and the problem still occurs.

What’s confusing me is if I take the switch out of the tee the panel immediately shows no flow and if I press the switch together the lights operate as they should. Basically what I found is the switch and the panel are working as they should unless I put it in the tee.

I also verified that there is no actual flow when the pump is off. I can see the water in the tee and nothing is moving. I also tried to not screw the switch down as much into the tee and it was ok when I powered it back on but 10 minutes later if I shut off the pump it’s having the same problem.

I’m having the company come out next week, but just curious if anyone has had this problem.

control panel is an aquarite 900

Thanks

Welcome to TFP.
Looks like you did good in troubleshooting the flow switch. Assuming you have the Hayward OEM flow switch, make sure the arrow is pointing in the same direction of the flow.
Is this on a vertical or horizontal installation? Is there any check valve involved?
Anyway, I don't think I can help much with that over the internet. But I would suggest you ask the company to wire the swcg to power on only when the pump is running and off when the pump is off. The swcg must be on a separate timer if you have a VS pump and no automation.

You might get more help from others if you will take a moment to fill in your signature > What we need to know to answer your questions

Reactions: Chuckiechan
Hello, thank you for helping out. No check valve and it is a horizontal installation. I happened to notice in the SWG manual that there has to be a 12" run of straight pipe before the flow switch. The place that installed has it right after the 90. I have some tight plumbing so I can see why they did what they did, but I'm thinking that might be the cause. As far as I know my system does not support automation, so the timer might be the easiest solution.

Having just installed one of these myself, it is probable that the flow switch is contacting something in the Tee. Might be flash, or simply installed too far.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.