Aquarite 900

What does chlorine gas translate into liquid chlorine? For example is there a way to find out how much 1.47 lbs of chlorine gas equated to liquid chlorine in liters?

hmm, based on pool math it says 1.47 pounds of chlorine gas translates to 7.4 FC which is equivalent of me putting about 5.920 liters of 12% liquid chlorine. Because every 350ml - 400ml of 12% LC I raise my FC by 0.5.

Does that make sense?

Also the pool math says ph lowers by 0.6 using chlorine gas and salt increases by 6.1 ppm. Does that mean that if I run pump 24 hours a day at 100% I can expect 7.4 FC added, my ph to drop by 0.6 and salt to increase by 6.1?

Last edited:
I get more like 5 liters of 12% to equate to running your SWCG at 100% for 24 hours in your pool volume.

I cannot replicate your pH / salt statement. Chlorine from a SWCG is pH neutral (as is liquid chlorine). Only liquid chlorine adds salt.

Reactions: g3lo
Does that mean that if I run pump 24 hours a day at 100% I can expect 7.4 FC added, my ph to drop by 0.6 and salt to increase by 6.1?
The pH won't change because the cell also produces hydroxide, which exactly offsets the pH drop.

The salt won't increase because you are using salt to make chlorine.

The FC will increase by 7.7 in 23,000 gallons.

1624112114161.png

Sorry I edited my response I messed up the math, its actually 5.920L of LC. Which is closer to your 5L estimate. Thats insane. Thats pretty darn good. I usually do 2 - 2.5L of LC to maintain daily. So that means I can run the pump 12 hours a day at 100% and still obtain the maintenance without adding LC. So why is that people recommend a larger unit? I got the largest unit available in Canada which is rated for 40K G. Its not exactly double the size, but close. I guess it makes sense. If my pool is ~23K G, than I got 40K G rated SWG. Its almost double. 60K G would be overkill then. Right?

Wonderful thanks! I am learning a lot. Thanks for answering all my questions its helping me have better control.

So why is that people recommend a larger unit?
TFP recommends a SWCG 2X your pool volume. Allows you to run the pump less, if you like.
60K G would be overkill then. Right?
Yes and no. Depends on your desires. Look at my signature. I have an IC40 on a 6000 gallon pool. I did that because when I built the pool, the IC40 was about $50 more than the IC20 ----- so a no brainer.

If you added chlorine gas from an external chlorine gas supply, then the pH would drop and the salt would increase.

Since the cell is making the chlorine gas, the other effects are eliminated.

Any source of added chlorine other than a SWG adds salt in the form of chloride and the other parts of the molecule depending on the type of chlorine.

Calcium hypochlorite adds calcium and chloride, which is a salt.

Trichlor adds chloride and cyanuric acid and then you have to add sodium carbonate, sodium bicarbonate, sodium hydroxide or sodium tetraborate which all add sodium.

Chlorine gas adds chloride and then you have to add sodium carbonate, sodium bicarbonate, sodium hydroxide or sodium tetraborate which all add sodium.

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you so much! A coupe more questions:

- When I vacuums do I need to turn off SWG?
- When I backwash, do I need to also turn off SWG?

- When I vacuums do I need to turn off SWG?
- When I backwash, do I need to also turn off SWG?
I don't see why.
Do you have an automation system? How are you insuring the SWCG is powered off when the pump is not running?

I dont have automation. But the installer said there is a flow sensor that when the flow is low, it will shut off?

When pump shuts off at night, it says no flow, does that mean the SWG is off? And, safe? Or, its still trying to run but damaging?

The flow switch is a secondary safety device. The unit should be completely powered down by another method when the pump is scheduled to be off. SWCG cells have exploded when left powered on, it is rare, but it has happened.

We recommend a timer or other device to remove the power from the SWCG when the pump is scheduled to be off.

Do you have any recommendations on a timer that does not break the bank that would turn it off?

How is the system wired? A basic Intermatic clock timer or a digital timer. Just has to be for whatever voltage the SWCG is set up for.

So I dont have any automation. I just have a pentair pump and swg. Not sure how its wired exactly. But I assume they are separate. Is there a way to provide a signal from SWG to pump so that when pump is on SWG is on and vice versa?

Also the pool math says ph lowers by 0.6 using chlorine gas and salt increases by 6.1 ppm. Does that mean that if I run pump 24 hours a day at 100% I can expect 7.4 FC added, my ph to drop by 0.6 and salt to increase by 6.1?
You are kind of comparing apples and oranges.. they are both fruit but.... With a SWG.. you are using the salt that is already in the water to make Chlorine.. so nothing is added. If you add liquid chlorine you are adding an external component, so salt is added to the pool.

Water goes through the SWG like any other component in your system. When it is on it creates a slow continuous amount of Cl. You can let it do its job regardless of what the water is doing. ie vacing... obviously any water backwashed is chems down the drain.. but the amount would be minimal. Its not like you are going to backwash 5000 gal out of your pool.

The only time you really NEED to shut off the SWG is when the flow is too slow to engage the flow switch. At that rate chlorine gas is not being flushed out of the cell and can accumulate to dangerous concentrations. I see you have a VS pump.. so its possible to have it run at such a low RPM it will not engage. Most people find an RPM that will run the SWG, and if you run it 24/7 and that is too much chlorine then a second timer should be added to the switch. For me I have a single speed pump, it either on or not. And when it on the SWG is going and producing where I am vaccuming, or whatever.

Not that pump SWCG combination. The newest Pentair Superflo VS can communicate with a Pentair iCHlor SWCG, but not your combination.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.