Aquapure plumbing order

tgrinchy

Silver Supporter
Aug 13, 2019
Houston
Hi all - Long time lurker, first time poster! I've been meaning to start an under construction thread (and will do so) but had a quick question as we're getting close to plaster.

Our SWG (Jandy Aquapure PLC1400) is currently plumbed as follows:
Heater Output-> 3 way valve (w/JVA for pool/spa mode)-> Check valve-> SWG-> Pool returns/spill overs, etc. So in Spa mode, the SWG will be out of the loop. (I will try to attach a picture).

The Jandy manual shows the SWG before the 3way valve as a recommended setup. My PB explains to me that the spa will still continue to receive chlorination due to the spillover in the spa and shouldn't be an issue.

My question is should I have them change this so the SWG is plumbed BEFORE the 3-way valve? i.e.:
Heater output-> Check Valve-> SWG-> 3Way-> to Spa/Pool

From what I've read, it sounds like both configurations should still work - just not sure if this is something have changed before get plaster/startup rolling. I appreciate any and all info!

T,

I would not want the SWCG adding chlorine to the spa, when in the spa mode unless I had automation. When in the spa mode, an automation system will decrease the amount of chlorine being generated. This is because you have a small body of water (spa) and a SWCG can add way too much chlorine if in the spa mode for a long time.

Without automation it makes sense to me that the SWCG does not supply chlorine to the spa when in the spa mode. As your pool builder points out, the spa will get plenty of chlorine when in the pool mode and the spillover is working.

Edit.. It is hard for me to tell, but it appears you have automation. If so, the cell is installed wrong. This assumes your automation can automatically adjust the Cell's output when in the cell mode.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hi Jim - I really appreciate the reply! I should have mentioned (and just updated my sig), I do have automation with the Aqualink RS control panel (coupled with iAqualink 2.0 and PDA). So it sounds like I should have this reversed?

If your automation automatically reduces the cell's output when in the spa mode, then it would make sense for the cell to be placed before the three way valve that sends water to either the pool or the spa..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Hmm - I’m pretty sure that the controller handles this but will have to research to confirm; I believe PB mentioned it dials down to 3%.

Part of the question for me then is there an advantage to having this plumbed before the 3way with automation?

T,

Yes, the advantage is that the spa will get some chlorine when in the spa mode (3%)... The way it is plumbed now, when in the spa mode you will have no additional chlorine coming into the spa..

Ask your pool builder why the automation reduces the cell out to 3% if no chlorinated water will be going into the spa when in the spa mode.

You would not do this of course, but if you put your current system in the spa mode and left it that way for three days, no chlorine would ever get into the spa..

I don't care if you change it or not, but it is not currently plumbed correctly.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks again Jim for your expertise - this makes a lot of sense and really helps confirm that I’m not in the wrong here. I’ve noticed PBs can sway a lot of doubt on the smallest of questions, hah!

I’m going to have them swap it around tomorrow.

T,

Just so that I am clear...

All of the return water should go through the cell no matter if the system is in the pool mode or spa mode... When in the pool mode, the water goes to the pool at whatever your cell's output is set to.. When in the spa mode, the automation reduces the cell's output before the water is sent to the spa.

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.