Charlotte NC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
So, this will be my first winter with my pool. I'm a little concerned about keeping it open; however, I've been told most of the folks around here (Charlotte) do so.

I was told Aqualink's Freeze Protection setting will kick on at the set temperature (38 degrees default), and will run in pool mode for 30 minutes, then switch to spa mode for 30 minutes. It will continue to do this as long as the temperature remains below 38 degrees. Is this correct? Is there anything else I should do to prepare for freezing temps, or things I should do as temperatures drop below freezing?

I've attached a photo of my hardware pad.

Thank you, in advance...much appreciated.

Attachments

• 20220920_111258_resized.jpg
    20220920_111258_resized.jpg
    500.8 KB · Views: 23
I'd bypass any equipment you can and drain them like the heater. I'm not sure you can specify a program to run if the freeze mode kicks in other than to select what devices are included and turned on. Not sure about the switching but I assume it's discussed in the owner's manual.

So, this will be my first winter with my pool. I'm a little concerned about keeping it open; however, I've been told most of the folks around here (Charlotte) do so.

I was told Aqualink's Freeze Protection setting will kick on at the set temperature (38 degrees default), and will run in pool mode for 30 minutes, then switch to spa mode for 30 minutes. It will continue to do this as long as the temperature remains below 38 degrees. Is this correct? Is there anything else I should do to prepare for freezing temps, or things I should do as temperatures drop below freezing?

I've attached a photo of my hardware pad.

Thank you, in advance...much appreciated.
The easiest way to sleep at night is to run the equipment between 2am and 8am. Those hours are the usual "freezing" hours and can prevent damage in most areas that have pools "open" year round. If your climate is more extreme adjust accordingly. Be sure you have a good overflow in the spa.
Even here in the very warm Sacramento Valley we experience many Winter nights that are below freezing. Been running my pool like that for decades with no equipment damage even though I have seen very thin ice on the pool surface.

Greetings homie. I've kept ours open 2 winters here in Chapel Hill. Also with Aqualink equipment.

Spend some time with the Aqualink manual. You want to be familiar. There's a setting for the freeze protect turn-on temp. It goes down to 34. That's where I set mine. Get a pretty accurate thermometer to verify what the Aqualink reports. At 34F actual my first sensor showed 36 (danger Will Robinson) and a replacement says 31.

There's also a list of stuff controlled by freeze protection that you can set. The pool/spa switch occurs every 30 minutes only if you include "Spa" in the list. I hate the idea of all that wear and tear, so I go out most evenings it's supposed to freeze, manually put the suction side valve half way between pool and spa and turn on the pump. Pool mode only. I can't just leave the valve there all the time because the spa drains when the pump is off, which causes other problems.

Also study your valves to make sure every pipe gets some flow. For example, if you have a heater bypass, set it at 50/50 so both heater and bypass are covered.

The advice of @1poolman1 to winterize as much as possible is excellent. I'm able to do that with deck jets. When we moved in they were clearly ice damaged, so the previous owners didn't. I blow them out with a compressor, install little rubber plugs, and stuff the housings with closed-cell foam. Takes about 20 minutes total. No issues so far. This year I finally figured out how to take care of the spa bubbler pump circuit, too.

I'm concluding I can skip the auto-leveler. It's mostly below the frost line and plugging it - as I have for 2 years now - means I need to drain off excess water manually. No fun in February.

Running the pump at night for normal filtering is another decent strategy.

Make a plan for power and equipment failures. They happen. My pump died last February. Happily I noticed and drained everything on the pad before disaster. I had read through all the manuals and thought through what to do, so even though it was 10pm it was not bad. Everything survived until I got the pump repaired 2 days later. There are cell phone apps that will alarm if charging current is cut. I run one of those every night it's supposed to freeze hard so I'll know if the power goes out.

One other thing that many have pointed out is that I have POCD (pool OCD). They say it takes an extended period of deep cold to cause freeze damage. These last two winters we never had 24 hours sub-freezing. Our pool water temp never went below 36F and that was just one night. Normally it's 38F at dawn. Under those conditions - so I'm told - you'd probably be all right doing nothing for most of the winter. My experience seems to bear that out. A night where it hits 32F at 10pm, goes down to 28F, and then is back above freezing by 8pm - which is most "cold" nights - does not form much ice. Just a skin on top of the bucket of water I keep on the pool deck as a canary. On the coldest nights (10F), I see ~3/4" of ice in the morning. I believe that's not enough to burst a 2" PVC pipe. I guess it could lock up a pump, but not kill it. It might hurt the heater core.

Sorry if this is too long, but I really wish I'd had this info at the start of the first winter.

Last edited:
Reactions: HermanTX
+1 on what the others have said. My only experience is the Texas Feb 2021 freeze that lasted several days. Although I had freeze protection set, I opted for the strategy to continuously run the pump. I also put up a tarp to keep the wind and snow off the equipment. I did lose power, but had pre planned to drain the pump, filter and heater. So know where those plugs are and ensure you can remove them without a lot of effort, i.e. practice now before the cold sets in. Also ensure your filter drain is accessible as those can be difficult to get to depending on the filter. Yours looks like it has a blue valve so just ensure it is working.

It appears you have a bypass on your heater so you can activate that and drain your heater to protect that regardless.

You also need to protect your skimmer with short pieces of pool noodles to absorb any expansion of freezing water in the skimmer should your pumps stop working.

The AquaLink uses the external temperature sensor to determine whether freeze protection is activated. That is the one that reads outside temperature on the AquaLink app. It is a good idea to test that if you are going to rely solely on the freeze protection feature vs. setting a pump schedule during the freezing temperature times. Take a cup of water with ice and put the sensor in it and see if the freeze protection kicks in. Then take a calibrated temperature probe and measure the temperature of the ice water. Compare that to the AquaLink reading. I adjusted my freeze protection to a higher set point to compensate for the difference in readings.

Greetings homie. I've kept ours open 2 winters here in Chapel Hill. Also with Aqualink equipment.

Spend some time with the Aqualink manual. You want to be familiar. There's a setting for the freeze protect turn-on temp. It goes down to 34. That's where I set mine. Get a pretty accurate thermometer to verify what the Aqualink reports. At 34F actual my first sensor showed 36 (danger Will Robinson) and a replacement says 31.

There's also a list of stuff controlled by freeze protection that you can set. The pool/spa switch occurs every 30 minutes only if you include "Spa" in the list. I hate the idea of all that wear and tear, so I go out most evenings it's supposed to freeze, manually put the suction side valve half way between pool and spa and turn on the pump. Pool mode only. I can't just leave the valve there all the time because the spa drains when the pump is off, which causes other problems.

Also study your valves to make sure every pipe gets some flow. For example, if you have a heater bypass, set it at 50/50 so both heater and bypass are covered.

The advice of @1poolman1 to winterize as much as possible is excellent. I'm able to do that with deck jets. When we moved in they were clearly ice damaged, so the previous owners didn't. I blow them out with a compressor, install little rubber plugs, and stuff the housings with closed-cell foam. Takes about 20 minutes total. No issues so far. This year I finally figured out how to take care of the spa bubbler pump circuit, too.

I'm concluding I can skip the auto-leveler. It's mostly below the frost line and plugging it - as I have for 2 years now - means I need to drain off excess water manually. No fun in February.

Running the pump at night for normal filtering is another decent strategy.

Make a plan for power and equipment failures. They happen. My pump died last February. Happily I noticed and drained everything on the pad before disaster. I had read through all the manuals and thought through what to do, so even though it was 10pm it was not bad. Everything survived until I got the pump repaired 2 days later. There are cell phone apps that will alarm if charging current is cut. I run one of those every night it's supposed to freeze hard so I'll know if the power goes out.

One other thing that many have pointed out is that I have POCD (pool OCD). They say it takes an extended period of deep cold to cause freeze damage. These last two winters we never had 24 hours sub-freezing. Our pool water temp never went below 36F and that was just one night. Normally it's 38F at dawn. Under those conditions - so I'm told - you'd probably be all right doing nothing for most of the winter. My experience seems to bear that out. A night where it hits 32F at 10pm, goes down to 28F, and then is back above freezing by 8pm - which is most "cold" nights - does not form much ice. Just a skin on top of the bucket of water I keep on the pool deck as a canary. On the coldest nights (10F), I see ~3/4" of ice in the morning. I believe that's not enough to burst a 2" PVC pipe. I guess it could lock up a pump, but not kill it. It might hurt the heater core.

Sorry if this is too long, but I really wish I'd had this info at the start of the first winter.
Thank you for your reply. My aqualink manual doesn't provide much information on the freeze protection feature. I'm thinking I may not have a particular manual. Can you provide a link for the manual that covers freeze protection?

I also agree that cycling spa and pool mode every 30 minutes puts additional wear and tear on the components-- especially during colder months. Unfortunately, I tried to find a balance between pool and spa suction running concurrently, but the spa drained at a faster rate than it's return causing the spa to slowly drain.

+1 on what the others have said. My only experience is the Texas Feb 2021 freeze that lasted several days. Although I had freeze protection set, I opted for the strategy to continuously run the pump. I also put up a tarp to keep the wind and snow off the equipment. I did lose power, but had pre planned to drain the pump, filter and heater. So know where those plugs are and ensure you can remove them without a lot of effort, i.e. practice now before the cold sets in. Also ensure your filter drain is accessible as those can be difficult to get to depending on the filter. Yours looks like it has a blue valve so just ensure it is working.

It appears you have a bypass on your heater so you can activate that and drain your heater to protect that regardless.

You also need to protect your skimmer with short pieces of pool noodles to absorb any expansion of freezing water in the skimmer should your pumps stop working.

The AquaLink uses the external temperature sensor to determine whether freeze protection is activated. That is the one that reads outside temperature on the AquaLink app. It is a good idea to test that if you are going to rely solely on the freeze protection feature vs. setting a pump schedule during the freezing temperature times. Take a cup of water with ice and put the sensor in it and see if the freeze protection kicks in. Then take a calibrated temperature probe and measure the temperature of the ice water. Compare that to the AquaLink reading. I adjusted my freeze protection to a higher set point to compensate for the difference in readings.
Thank you. I was thinking about buying an insulated tarp for snow protection, placing the insulated part towards the equipment. Is this what you do? Something like this....Https://a.co/d/7J9D2zf.

Thank you for your reply. My aqualink manual doesn't provide much information on the freeze protection feature. I'm thinking I may not have a particular manual. Can you provide a link for the manual that covers freeze protection?

I also agree that cycling spa and pool mode every 30 minutes puts additional wear and tear on the components-- especially during colder months. Unfortunately, I tried to find a balance between pool and spa suction running concurrently, but the spa drained at a faster rate than it's return causing the spa to slowly drain.
This link ought to work. Page 26. There's a tiny bit more info in the Aqualink RS manual, though you need to guess how the PDA instructions translate to the app. (Especially for something this expensive, the app is really terrible.)

Hmm... For mine the adjustment has not been hard. There's a spillway from spa to pool. I switch the valve to manual while in pool mode (spa suction completely closed) and then open it a little at a time until the sound of flow changes. Then verify there's still some water coming over the spill, so it's not going to drain. It's not a very critical adjustment. Maybe I'll have more trouble with the VSP turned down this year.

This link ought to work. Page 26. There's a tiny bit more info in the Aqualink RS manual, though you need to guess how the PDA instructions translate to the app. (Especially for something this expensive, the app is really terrible.)

Hmm... For mine the adjustment has not been hard. There's a spillway from spa to pool. I switch the valve to manual while in pool mode (spa suction completely closed) and then open it a little at a time until the sound of flow changes. Then verify there's still some water coming over the spill, so it's not going to drain. It's not a very critical adjustment. Maybe I'll have more trouble with the VSP turned down this year.
Thank you. I don't have this manual. This will help.

I realized yesterday I just need to open the spa's suction line to the pump slightly to get enough water flowing to prevent freezing, but not too much to stop the overflow into the pool. I was able to open the spa suction valve about 10% and it had no affect on the spa's overflow.

Thanks again for your help.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.