Central Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Jandy Aquapure 1400
I am updating my aqua cal heater (SuperQuiet-SQ166R) and adding the new HP9 board so that I can control both heating and cooling from my phone (iaqualink). Currently it is on the 2 -wire function and I can only control heating. I connected the board as the written instructions/video tutorial on aqua cal's website instructed; however, I can only still heat the pool with the app and not cool. I had the 2-wire (from aqua link) connected to the HP9 board (Y and Z) and no cooling. I then I was planning to connect the Yellow and Bluish Green wire to the BUS Port B on the HP9 board and connect the Yellow and Bluish Green wire to the 2 middle slots of the 4-pin connector at the aqua link panel and switch the aqua cal to SMART. I didn't get a chance to try it, because my pool pump died. So while I'm getting that fixed, I want to check to see if anyone else has done this upgrade before and the connections they had to make in order to get heating and cooling from their app versus just heating capabilities. Thanks.

Yes, I contacted them. They will walk me through it. Great customer service:)

Did you get this working? I just bought the same heater and was advised that the Jandy automation doesn't know how to call for the chiller function and can only heat. I was suggested to get the Aquacal Wifi controls to operate the heater.

Did you get this working? I just bought the same heater and was advised that the Jandy automation doesn't know how to call for the chiller function and can only heat. I was suggested to get the Aquacal Wifi controls to operate the heater.
Yes, got it to work. When you want to heat, go into the jandy aqua link and push temp to desired temp above what you currently have, probably at least 5 degrees above. If you want to cool, go into iaqua link and drop the chiller temp about 5 degrees below and click the heat pump button on. It should say chiller instead of heat pump. Once you click it, then chiller turns on. I’m going a little off of memory since I have closed my pool and I can’t view the entire I aqua link platform now.

Yes, got it to work. When you want to heat, go into the jandy aqua link and push temp to desired temp above what you currently have, probably at least 5 degrees above. If you want to cool, go into iaqua link and drop the chiller temp about 5 degrees below and click the heat pump button on. It should say chiller instead of heat pump. Once you click it, then chiller turns on. I’m going a little off of memory since I have closed my pool and I can’t view the entire I aqua link platform now.
Thank you! Are you controlling via RS485 or 2 wire?
When I go to Menu > System Setup > Heat Pump, I have options for Heat Mode or Chill Mode. Only when in Cool Mode do I have the option for Chiller when I go to the Set Temperature screen and I am not able to set chiller temp below the heater temp. It only lets me set 5 degrees ABOVE heater temp and says that I need to go to the control pad of the heater to set to Cool Mode. (Attached is screenshot). Heater icon only changes to Chiller when I go back to the setup menu and change the mode, so it appears different than your interface. I'm wondering if once I hookup the heater to RS485 it will recognize this and have a different interface.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211114-202307.png
    Screenshot_20211114-202307.png
    273.7 KB · Views: 3
Thank you! Are you controlling via RS485 or 2 wire?
When I go to Menu > System Setup > Heat Pump, I have options for Heat Mode or Chill Mode. Only when in Cool Mode do I have the option for Chiller when I go to the Set Temperature screen and I am not able to set chiller temp below the heater temp. It only lets me set 5 degrees ABOVE heater temp and says that I need to go to the control pad of the heater to set to Cool Mode. (Attached is screenshot). Heater icon only changes to Chiller when I go back to the setup menu and change the mode, so it appears different than your interface. I'm wondering if once I hookup the heater to RS485 it will recognize this and have a different interface.
It’s a 2 wire. If you have the same heater that I do, then have you upgraded the electrical board in the heater? It has to have the HP9 kit installed. If not, then it will not be able to switch back and forth remotely without putting in codes at the heater. The support team from aquacal was able to walk me through it pretty easily.

It’s a 2 wire. If you have the same heater that I do, then have you upgraded the electrical board in the heater? It has to have the HP9 kit installed. If not, then it will not be able to switch back and forth remotely without putting in codes at the heater. The support team from aquacal was able to walk me through it pretty easily.
Thanks for the info. I just finished the install and based on the 2021 production date of my heater, it does have the newer HP9 board.

I did a 2 wire setup BUT via the RS485 port for SMART communication (Data + and Data - ports and left the other 2 power wires empty per the instructions). Jandy recognized the communication and let me perform both heat and chill functions, only after performing this ridiculous dance of setting the temperature 5 degrees apart. Jandy had no logical reason why it was designed so poorly and different than any other thermostat control in the world.

Now I can independently control my gas heater and electric heater, or run both at the same time to heat either the pool or spa.

Now the only thing left to try is the chiller function when in Spa mode. The Aquacal documentation says the Cold Plunge function doesn't work as of 2018 for the Jandy controller and the next update will include that. I didn't know if there's been an update since then so I called Jandy and they said there is a new board coming out this year to address it and the update will be pushed to iAqualink users which is hard to believe considering all updates in the past required purchase of a new CPU board. I'm going to try it out tomorrow and see if does support the chiller when in Spa Mode. Hopefully this info helps anybody else that is trying to get a dual heater (gas and heat pump) setup working.

Update: Chill function does not work in spa mode. There's no way to get the button to change from Heat Pump to Chiller. Have to manually flip the switch on the Intake and Return JVAs to circulate spa while the system still thinks it's in pool mode to get chiller function.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.