Aquabright on spa seats

aschwa

Nov 10, 2016
Palo Alto/California
Hi everyone!

I was originally planning to do plaster for a new pool build, with tiles on the spa seats, since my PB recommended that sitting on tile is a lot nicer than sitting on plaster.

I'm now thinking about upgrading to Aquabright. For folks who have experienced Aquabright -- is it worth the extra $ to do a tile band on the spa seats if I'm going with Aquabright?

Thanks!

bdavis466

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
Aug 4, 2014
San Clemente, CA
No, the tile borders and aquabright don't play all that nicely. I would either forego the tile altogether or do the band out of another color of Aquabright for a completely smooth transition.

bdavis466

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
Aug 4, 2014
San Clemente, CA
Waterline tile is fine. The seat and step tile borders are difficult because they are horizontal and the epoxy wants to pool in those areas. The thickness of the aquabright creates a small lip where it meets the tile and is really hard to get a perfectly straight line. The tile grout is too thin to get coated so the grout/ plaster will be exposed in those areas.

aschwa

Nov 10, 2016
Palo Alto/California
I'm not completely understanding the issue. But I know you're an installer, so I trust your perspective.

But what if, instead of just tiling a border, we were to tile an entire seat? Would we still have an issue where it meets the Aquabright?

bdavis466

TFP Expert
Platinum Supporter
Aug 4, 2014
San Clemente, CA
I'm not completely understanding the issue. But I know you're an installer, so I trust your perspective.

But what if, instead of just tiling a border, we were to tile an entire seat? Would we still have an issue where it meets the Aquabright?
It would probably be less of an issue.