Aqua rite trouble no countdown for recalibration

orangepower10

Jul 13, 2019
Sulphur, Oklahoma
Just finished the pool and I can’t seem to get the aqua rite to get the correct readings. I put 17 bags of salt in. I waited for 24 hours with pump running. As soon as I turn the aqua rite on, it turns red with low salt and the check cell light comes on. Independent test shows 2350 on strip. Board shows 1800 and won’t do the countdown for recalibration. I have a t-15 cell and it’s correct on the board. Any ideas what’s going on?

Kind of freaking out bc it’s been 3 days and there’s no chlorine in the pool bc the generating light won’t stay on.

Reactions: orangepower10
Finally got it to stay on and it’s reading 2700 now. Generating light staying steady. I know it’s probably tough to answer but how should I be operating the pump (Hayward ecostar variable) and what should the desired output be on the salt chlorinator? 60%

Yes I got some salt strips but they are different I think. I’ll pick up some of the ones you suggested. Thanks.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    367.1 KB · Views: 2
60% running 24 hours a day will give you 3 ppm. Probably a bit on the high side and you will need to tweak it down as you see the actual FC over time.

Right now I have the pump running 18 hours a day on 1000rpm. Should I set it to run 24 hours?

What is your CYA & FC?

See which way your FC goes? If it is dropping from your target then increase runtime or %.

Up your FC ot your FC target based on the FC/CYA Levels then use the SWG to maintain that target FC. Don;t wait for the SWG to raise the FC without help from liquid chlorine.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Test strip this morning showed 3200 for salt.
pH - 8.4
FC - 1
Total Alkalinity - 240
Stabilizer - 30-50
Salt looks good... how does that compare with what your equipment is reporting?
Stabilizer 30-50? are you using strips to test your chem? You should use a proper test kit (Test Kits Compared). The Taylor test kits is what is used here as a standard for best comparison... Strips are too variable. By those measurements your FC is still low as well as your CYA. for a SWG pool your CYA should be 60-80 and follow the FC/CYA Levels chart to set your FC. I would add liquid chlorine to jump start the FC level it will make life easier on your cell... oh and start working on dropping that pH too.

That 3200 was actually from the SWG. I need to test to see if it matches.

Chart says 2 to 2.5 quarts of muriatic acid for ph/alkalinity, does that sound right?

What chart? Use PoolMath

Salt level is under control. I purchased the Taylor 2006C test kit and it will be here Tuesday. In the meantime, I'm trying to balance the water using the aquachek test strips. I added 50 ounces of chlorine and 50 ounces of muriatic acid last night. According to PoolMath that was enough to raise my FC by 1.5 but it doesn't even show a reading on the strip (still white, no purple tint at all). The muriatic acid did have an effect as it lowered the PH from 8.4 to close to 7.9 (really hard to tell exactly where it is on the chart). Alkalinity is still off the charts according to the test stick at around 240. We just opened the pool so this is all new to me. My understanding is that the High alkalinity/PH may be limiting the effectiveness of the chlorine I put in. Pool math suggested nearly twice as much muriatic acid but I didn't want to overdo it.

Should I trust the test strips and go ahead and add more muriatic acid or wait until the Taylor test kit comes in on Tuesday? Just worried that I'll have a problem with the water by then because that will be over a week since we filled the pill and still have no chlorine in the pool. Oddly, the water is crystal clear but none of the readings are ideal. I ran the Tiger Shark yesterday for the first time and it cleaned up the bottom very well.

Last edited:
Put 3 ppm of liquid chlorine as calculated by PoolMath into your water every day if you are not using your SWG. Wait for your Taylor kit before making any other changes. Your test strips can lead you way wrong.

Last edited:
Taylor 2006 kit shows no free chlorine. Water didn’t turn pink after the 2 drops. Should I turn swg on super chlorinate?

You should raise your FC to target level using liquid chlorine. Then figure out what is going on with your SWG.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.