Aqua Logic reads 0000 salt

Adpaddock

Jul 20, 2016
Katy, TX
Just moved and the new house has a salt cell. The previous owner said the pool guy jus added salt to the pool, but the Aqua Logic display says its at zero. When I tested the saline it is at 4200! The salt cell looks good, clean, no build up. The cell is not producing chlorine, so I have been using liquid chlorine. I need to dump water to lower the salt level. How much water do I dump? I assume there is something wrong with the display, that it reads zero when it is actually very, very high.

chlorinatorpro

In The Industry
Feb 16, 2016
CA
If you gave us the additional readings on the display it would be helpful...water temp, voltage and amperage. Also let us know the serial number of the cell, Usually starts with 3E.

My guess is that your amperage reads less that 0.20a and if that is the case you are going to need a new cell. You can always take the cell to the pool store and have them test on their tester to confirm.

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
What are the first seven characters of the cell and box serial numbers?

What is the actual salinity and how are you measuring it?

What is the T-cell size?

To get the performance percentage of the cell, divide the instant salinity reading by the actual salinity reading.

You need to be really sure about the actual salinity reading.

You need to use a K-1766 salt test kit or a calibrated meter.

tftestkits.net

K-1766 Taylor Salt Test
This salt test is very dependable and repeatable. Care must be taken to observe the endpoint precisely. An overshoot of the endpoint will invalidate the results. Read instructions carefully.
tftestkits.net

Note that ProLogic, AquaLogic and AquaPlus use the Hayward T Cell.

However, the procedure to get the diagnostic readings is different.

Here is the procedure for ProLogic, AquaLogic and AquaPlus:

Go to the diagnostic screen, note the readings and then press the + button to reverse the polarity.

When the new numbers appear, see what they are.

Then, press + again and note the new readings.

Adpaddock

Jul 20, 2016
Katy, TX
I had the salinity tested at a pool store and I confirmed it when my k-1766 kit arrived. Yep! I need to dump at least 20% of the water and get a new cell.

JamesW

TFP Expert
Mar 2, 2011
The cell was made the 96th day of 2017.

It has a 3 year warranty. It was probably installed in 2017. If you had it tested before the 96th day of this year, and it was bad, they would have given you a new cell.

If you have a receipt that's less than 3 years old from purchase, it's still under warranty.

Have the cell tested at a store that tests cells before you replace it.

Being only 3 years old, I would question whether it's really a bad cell.