Aqua Check test strip accuracy?

gtnos

Jun 9, 2013
Newcastle, Oklahoma
since I have never SLAMed before, I had no idea that I would quickly burn through 2 bottles of R-0871.:mad:

im out. totally. I have more on order, but that will take a couple of days. So I went into Leslies, and they had every Taylor reagent EXCEPT R-0871. Unless I want to buy their Leslie's kit that has it in it.

(That kit, BTW is a HUGE ripoff. Its the same K-2006 kit I paid $60 bucks for, with a Leslie's sticker applied over the Taylor one and a retail price of $125.00!!!!):eek: thats why I stay out of pool stores, right there.

the only thing I could think of was to buy some Aqua Check strips from Leslies. So I did. I know they dont have the accuracy of the drop tests, but I dont have much of a choice. better than nothing.

has anyone compared the accuracy of these strips to the drop kits? how accurate is the FC test on them?

thanks.

I think you'd be better with the yellow color match OTO test. Drops are always better than the strips. What is your SLAM level FC? I know there's some color matching you can do with high levels of FC on the OTO test as it starts to turn really dark yellow, then orange then brown(? I think)

I know someone will come in here with that info soon!

Regarding the R-0871 I managed to find some locally to me. (Not from Leslie's!) A called a bunch of local pool stores and found one that got it for me from their supplier or something. They had someone pick it up and I was able to get it the next morning. It cost more than ordering it but I was desperate. ;-)

I have the aqua check strips as well as the Taylor K-2006 kit.

The readings on them strips for FC do not go above 10ppm... and even under 10ppm, it's a "best guess"

I also found the reading for the CYA (which you will need to know) on the test strips to be not very accurate, they were reading considerably lower than what my K-2006 was reporting.

For your SLAM, you will need to be over 10+ppm of FC.. If you haven't started your SLAM, i would wait till you get your refill.. (You can also save a bit of money by ordering a 2oz bottle)

oh, im done slamming. had just enough R0871 to perform OCLT = passed. water crystal clear, 0 ppm CC. these strips will be used just to monitor daily FC needs until more R0871 arrives.

also, i have plenty of reagents for the rest of my k-2006, so FC is the ONLY thing I will be monitoring with the strips. I already know my CYA level, TA, pH, and CH from my K-2006.

I don't think I'd trust them. What's your maintenance FC goal? I'd probably try to figure out an average of FC to add based on previous testing. I'd try to get my hands on the OTO test. (For future reference...the TF-100 comes with that little color block OTO chlorine / PH tester so any of us with the TF-100 already have one) It's also Taylor brand. I think even the one from walmart would be better than the strips...

How long till your refill gets there?

I don't think I'd trust them. What's your maintenance FC goal? I'd probably try to figure out an average of FC to add based on previous testing. I'd try to get my hands on the OTO test. (For future reference...the TF-100 comes with that little color block OTO chlorine / PH tester so any of us with the TF-100 already have one) It's also Taylor brand. I think even the one from walmart would be better than the strips...

How long till your refill gets there?

FC target for my CYA level is 4 - 9ppm. I thought if I kept the test strip in the purple (which is 10ppm) that I would have a good buffer for margin of error....

R0871 should be here friday or saturday.

I have found the test strips are pretty consistant, but the shades of colors are incredibly hard to read to get an accurate number so it is more of a ballpark figure. I have never figured out why they show less Total Chlorine than what the Free Chlorine figure shows???? If you have 25ppm of FC then the strip will still look like 10ppm of purple. You could use a combo of the strips and OTO until you get what you need.

OTO colors:
Blinding yellow is about 10.
School bus yellow is about 12-13.
Light orange is about 15.
Dark orange is about 20.
Real Dark Orange is up around 25.
Brown if you get high enough.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.