Ma
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
I am in the process of buying an aqua cal T135 heat pump, my question is has anyone installed one DIY? Am I crazy for trying? I think I can save about $1,300 installing it myself, just looking for first hand opinions from anyone who has installed one.
Thanks

I have a licensed electrician doing all the electrical, I will only be doing the plumbing.

I have a licensed electrician doing all the electrical, I will only be doing the plumbing.

Then you have the hard part covered.

You have help muscling the HP into the location on the equipment pad?

I have that covered also, is a hartford loop recommended? I’ll try to post a picture tomorrow of my equipment pad and what I was planning to do.

I have that covered also, is a hartford loop recommended? I’ll try to post a picture tomorrow of my equipment pad and what I was planning to do.

What does the installation manual say?

It says it is not necessary with a salt water generator which I have, I just wasn’t sure if it was still a good idea?

I was thinking about removing the 90 behind the salt water cell so I could continue the pipe coming off the valve straight into the heater and then straight back and 90 into the salt cell. If that makes sense?
Does that seem like it would work?

Attachments

• AD03D026-601A-436A-899D-45D9AFBA2B7C.jpeg
    AD03D026-601A-436A-899D-45D9AFBA2B7C.jpeg
    652.2 KB · Views: 16
There are better experts, but I think the salt cell needs a straight run of pipe on either side, so you may want to run to the heater as you mention, but remove the salt cell and turn it 90 degrees and plumb in enough straight pipe to keep it working... if you try to come back to the same spot, you may have an elbow immediately at the inflow of the cell and it could cause some issues. I can't really tell if you have enough play in the cell wiring to make that work though.

That’s a good idea, I will check later and see how much extra cord I have available. Would I also have to move the flow switch to the discharge side of the heater or can that stay in the current location?

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I would move the flow switch so there are no other devices between it and the cell. Just whatever pipe is necessary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.