Aqua Blue mini pebble looks green?

Hey everyone,

Pool has been finished with water for 2 weeks now. The first week water was a nice deep blue color (we got stone scapes mini pebble in aqua blue). We had a pool party and the water got cloudy the next day. Our pool guy cleared up the water with chemicals but now our pebble looks GREEN! It is a dark turquoise green looking color.

Is this normal during start up or did we do something wrong? We waited a full week before anyone swam in it. I will try to include pictures. 8AC1DD93-EB52-42C4-A86D-1DB67CC9797D.jpg Before

and after

FBA6F2B2-91DE-40E5-9C13-2F6E71EE75F4.jpg B30C16AA-9329-4043-912B-4C7E5D93FDDE.jpg

Did your pool guy add any algaecides? If so, do you know exactly what he added or have an empty bottle handy? If so, post a shot of the label please.

No that’s not normal. We have the same finish and ours didn’t turn a different color. It still looks the same color after 6 months as it did when we first put water in it.
FIZ_4172-D.jpg

Did your pool guy add any algaecides? If so, do you know exactly what he added or have an empty bottle handy? If so, post a shot of the label please.

finally got a hold of the pool service guy and he said he did not add any algaecides. I took a sample of the pool water to the pool supply store and they said there is an amount of copper in the water that could be causing this. $65 later with a bottle of metal free and this little bag of magnets that goes in the skimmer..... and my pool is still GREEN! It is completely clear, I can see straight to the bottom. It’s just green! It’s not slimy/algae, just clear green water. It’s almost as if we bought green mini pebble not blue. I am so frustrated!

That's exactly why I asked about algaecides -- most of them contain copper. I have no personal experience with metal staining, but hopefully someone here who does will jump in. Swampwoman has dealt with this, I believe. You might reach out to her via PM.

That's exactly why I asked about algaecides -- most of them contain copper. I have no personal experience with metal staining, but hopefully someone here who does will jump in. Swampwoman has dealt with this, I believe. You might reach out to her via PM.

i think what happened is that last week when the pool guy came, he said my water level looked low and said to fill it for about an hour, which I did. Well I just threw the hose in and turned it on. Maybe the end of the hose is copper and it came off into the water? When we did the initial fill, we had a wash cloth wrapped around the end of the hose with a rubber band around it. I am trying to figure out how to send a PM to swampwoman. This site is still a little confusing on how to use. About as confusing as being a first time pool owner is LOL thank you for your help!!

I PMed her and asked her to come take a look. Not sure I've seen her around recently though.

Hi guys. Been a little tied up with a new puppy and an ailing FIL so don’t have much sustained attention ;)

Mis, how many ppm of copper did they say? Makes a difference on whether i’d recommend changing out a portion of the water or just doing a mini acid wash and relying on Sequestrant to keep the rest in suspension.

AA (Ascorbic Acid in Stain removers) is not the best for copper stains-and sometimes turns em blackish. You can use an “underwater acid wash” tool by purity pools (check Amazon) but you’ll want to check with your builder on doing this so soon. Every time you acid wash it does take some life off the plaster.

To test to see if acid removes the staining, buy a bit of dry acid, eg spa phdown, put in a sock and set on a stain. if it restores the color, then the acid wash wand with muriatic acid should restore the color.

Sulfamic Acid in a product, eg Jacks Metal Stain no. 2 product also works on copper...it’s a bit complicated to treat with.

Hope that helps give you some ideas.

Also want to quickly note that metals are tricky especially if you’re relying on a pool service instead of doing your own testing and dosing. For example, to prevent metals from precipitating on the walls, you don’t want to let the ph get too high or “shock” ( SLAM Process ) the pool if you don’t have to.Etc. No matter what pool service guy says, I’ll bet my bottom dollar he added a product containing copper and just didn’t know it. Not really many other ways for it to turn up ;)

Hi guys. Been a little tied up with a new puppy and an ailing FIL so don’t have much sustained attention ;)

Mis, how many ppm of copper did they say? Makes a difference on whether i’d recommend changing out a portion of the water or just doing a mini acid wash and relying on Sequestrant to keep the rest in suspension.

AA (Ascorbic Acid in Stain removers) is not the best for copper stains-and sometimes turns em blackish. You can use an “underwater acid wash” tool by purity pools (check Amazon) but you’ll want to check with your builder on doing this so soon. Every time you acid wash it does take some life off the plaster.

To test to see if acid removes the staining, buy a bit of dry acid, eg spa phdown, put in a sock and set on a stain. if it restores the color, then the acid wash wand with muriatic acid should restore the color.

Sulfamic Acid in a product, eg Jacks Metal Stain no. 2 product also works on copper...it’s a bit complicated to treat with.

Hope that helps give you some ideas.

Also want to quickly note that metals are tricky especially if you’re relying on a pool service instead of doing your own testing and dosing. For example, to prevent metals from precipitating on the walls, you don’t want to let the ph get too high or “shock” ( SLAM Process ) the pool if you don’t have to.Etc. No matter what pool service guy says, I’ll bet my bottom dollar he added a product containing copper and just didn’t know it. Not really many other ways for it to turn up ;)

What kind of puppy?! Congrats on the new pup, and I hope dad in law gets well soon! Thank you for taking the time to reply to my post!

I took in a sample of pool water to the pool supply store today and here are the results:

free available chlorine: 5 (high, per the chart should be 1-4 ppm)

total available chlorine: 5 (high, range says “0.2 difference”)

calcium hardness: 175 (low, should be 200-400 ppm)

cyanuric acid: 0 (low, should be 30-99 ppm)

total alkalinity: 200 (high, should be 80-120 ppm)

pH: 8 (high, should be 7.2-7.8)

acid demand: 2

COPPER: 0.3 (high, should be 0 ppm)

iron: 0

Total dissolved solids: 800 (ok since less than 2,500)

phosphates: 1,000 (high, should be below 100 ppb)

I have no idea what half of this means yet, but the pool supply store said I should put in the rest of the bottle of Metal Free and then bring back another water sample 24 hours later. I am thinking I’m going to try to clean my filter and then add the rest of the metal free unless anyone can recommend a better product?

There are no stains anywhere, the water is perfectly clear, it’s just having a green tint to the water. I already took out the floating chlorine tabs since the chlorine levels are high.

Good morning. .3 is right on the edge of stain potential for copper. Your ph is high at 8 and could cause copper to come out of solution. I would suggest lowering it to 7.2-7.4 with muriatic acid to see if that clears the tint.

I always hear mixed reports of Metal Free and have seen people not get the same results I get with the two brands we tend to recommend here, which are Jacks Magic and Metal Magic. Do you have a salt water pool or regular? For salt water, try Jacks Magic Purple sequestrant...or for regular, Metal Magic. Either way, I’d agree to add more.

You also need to balance your water and in particular, get your calcium up Eg to 300 for your finish, and get some cya into the water...

At this point, you need to determine if you’re going to be the pool’s caregiver and manager or use the pool service. Either way, I would suggest you invest in the kind of fas dpd test kit we use here...either a tft100 or Taylor k2006, each avail at http://www.tfttestkits.net

The reason I suggest this is that knowledge is power and you’d be better able to manage your pool and/or supervise a serv8ce if you had a reliable way to keep your sanitation according to the [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] — which is critical to the TFP way of pool care. These kits are the only ones you can semi-accurately test cya, which is the basis for you ideal chlorine level.

Please read up on basic water balance to get familiar, starting with ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

My new pup is a Portuguese Water Dog and he’s looking to me for food as I type so gotta run! I’ll keep my fingers crossed that lowering your ph and adding sequestrant gets you back to blue ;)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.