AQ-TROL-RJ - SWG Cell install & size options

lplatz

Jun 20, 2019
Royce City, Texas
I've been on a slow learning curve with our Above Ground Salt Water Pool we inherited with our new home purchase. System is a Hayward AQ-TROL-RJ. As best as I can tell, the SWG Cell (Hayward Goldline Turbo Cell T-CELL-5) is no longer functioning. The voltage is reading in the 30s and the Amps are 0. Our pool size is 20,000 gallons. I am prepared to purchase a new SWG Cell for the pool, but have a question regarding size options. Can I install a T-CELL-9 (up to 25,000) to replace the current T-CELL-5? I realize it will be more money. The reason I ask is that whoever installed our SWG System, installed the cell horizontally, instead of vertically. I have no idea how this impacts the efficiency or life span of the cell. Would installing a larger cell make any difference? I am exploring workaround options so that I don't have to re-plumb the cell vertically (we have a deck around the pool which will make the plumbing and install a real pain as I'll have to do this all below decking). Ideas? Suggestions? Thank You.
AQ-TROL-RJ system.jpgT-CELL-5.jpg

Above is an article about your SWCG. The issue is the cell is way undersized. For your pool volume you need a T15 cell. But I do not believe that control system will operate one. With the T5 that it can control, even at 100% generation and 24 hour operation, it will not put out enough chlorine to maintain your FC during the summer.

Thank you mknauss. Any information is good information at this point. What I am still curious about is any info on a horizontal versus a vertical install of the cell (other than the manual). Anyone with a similar system (AQ-TROL-RJ) have any feedback on this? I saw a posting in this forum (including a picture) of a vertically installed cell but it was nowhere near the return jet for the pool. Thanks in advance.

Since you don't have a flow switch, the cell has to be oriented such that the gasses generated cannot build up in the system if the cell generates while the pump is off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.