Anything special to do after a young child pees in the pool?

0REDSOX7

May 7, 2018
Greensboro, NC
So this is one I’m sure you all have had to deal with - but not me. Today, I had my good friend over and his three year old to go swimming (he’s going through some personal issues and thought some pool time would help).
Before, I had the wherewithal to bump FC up to 12ppm (CYA 50).

His daughter unfortunately had at least one accident in the pool...maybe two...not real sure.

Chlorine is being kept at 12ppm for the foreseeable future - but anything else I need to do / consider?

also - anything I can do to keep the water from clouding up when people use that spray-on sunscreen?? Usually only lasts for a day or so, and all parameters are Good - but just cloudy for a bit - and only when spray sun screen is used.

thanks!

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV
Pee -- They all do --- I guarantee it.

Nothing special. The chlorine takes care of it.

Sunscreen - it will collect in your skimmer and get to your filter. If really bad, some use scumbug in the skimmer to soak it up.

Newdude

Jun 16, 2019
NY
Pee in the pool has spawned jokes for many decades for a reason. ‘Welcome to our Ool. Notice there’s no P in it’ ..... the jokes will keep on long after all of us.

sunscreen and body oils/sweat is trickier because it clouds up the water. With 7k gallons you don’t have tons of dilution potential and it will be easier to overpower your water until the filter catches up. try your best to make everybody dry completely before jumping in. It comes off either way but it’s worse when the sunblock hasn’t completely soaked in yet. Also, keep a tennis ball or 3 in the skimmer, or just floating around if you don’t have a skimmer.

Jeff J.

Aug 6, 2019
Staten Island NY
Pee in the pool has spawned jokes for many decades for a reason. ‘Welcome to our Ool. Notice there’s no P in it’ ..... the jokes will keep on long after all of us.

sunscreen and body oils/sweat is trickier because it clouds up the water. With 7k gallons you don’t have tons of dilution potential and it will be easier to overpower your water until the filter catches up. try your best to make everybody dry completely before jumping in. It comes off either way but it’s worse when the sunblock hasn’t completely soaked in yet. Also, keep a tennis ball or 3 in the skimmer, or just floating around if you don’t have a skimmer.
A few ounces of urine in tens of thousands of gallons of water is nothing to lose sleep over. Anyway, that's one reason we use chlorine, to oxidize sweat, mucus, and urine.

Reactions: Newdude

0REDSOX7

May 7, 2018
Greensboro, NC

Thanks all...

Curious - what’s the Purpose of the tennis balls?

SouthVirginiaPool

Silver Supporter
Apr 26, 2020
Chesapeake, Virginia
Urine is usually sterile - but I still would not want to swim thru a stream of body metabolites. Now a number 2 is different where you do worry about fecal bacteria and the diseases they can cause. I hope no one ever does a deuce in my pool.

• Haha
Reactions: Newdude

HermanTX

Gold Supporter
May 20, 2020
Katy TX
when i was young, I was told that pool water had a special chemical in it that would turn blue if I peed in the pool That kept me from doing it for a long time - then I realized it was just a ploy. You may want to make a sign of similar notice and see if that helps with future guests.

mguzzy

Gold Supporter
Jul 8, 2015
OV, CA
When I was young they actually put that stuff in our local public pool.. I think it freaked out the other swimmers more than the pee-er.

borjis

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2014
Pacific NW
I purposely relieved myself (nobody else around) in the pool years ago, then did a test just to see what it actually does.

It just raised cc level a bit.