Anyone with JewelScapes Crystal? StoneScapes Mini Zanzibar?

jennbostwick

Jun 12, 2020
ok
We are at the post-gunite and pre-coping stage. I need to pick plaster but I'm having trouble finding a plaster finish that I want. I thought I wanted a plain white plaster finish but am afraid it will be too white and all imperfections will be visible, especially at night and I know there are more durable finishes now with quartz and aggregates mixed in. My problem is that I don't like all the different variations of color that all these mix-ins provide. Does anyone have a very close to white or off-white with aggregate and quartz mixed in where it looks like a single, solid color? I don't want to look down and see any blue or black (or any other colors) flecks in it. I have a sun-deck front & center that is in 6 inches of water and it is 11' x 7' so I'll be looking at it a lot. Anyone?

I think aggregate and quartz mixed in where you don't see any other flecks of color does not fit with the natural material and natural variations that aggregates and quartz have.

Plaster is a natural finish that is hand applied and every application has unique variations. A plaster finish rarely looks like wall paint for long.

I definitely don't want the wall painted look and prefer a more natural look. I would like to have aggregate that is white and off with and maybe cream or taupe mixed together that still reads as white and doesn't draw the eye to the specks in it. Does anyone have experience with JewelScapes Crystal? StoneScapes Mini Zanzibar?

From looking at pictures online it looks like you might like Pebble Fina. I have been looking into that because it sounds like it would be smoother as well. They have 2 colors that look white.

Our first replastered We did a lite gray solid and I didn’t like it. It always looked dirty to me. We had it redone 2 years ago did quartzscape with white and some blue.
They did have one that looked like solid blue plaster

We are at the post-gunite and pre-coping stage. I need to pick plaster but I'm having trouble finding a plaster finish that I want. I thought I wanted a plain white plaster finish but am afraid it will be too white and all imperfections will be visible, especially at night and I know there are more durable finishes now with quartz and aggregates mixed in. My problem is that I don't like all the different variations of color that all these mix-ins provide. Does anyone have a very close to white or off-white with aggregate and quartz mixed in where it looks like a single, solid color? I don't want to look down and see any blue or black (or any other colors) flecks in it. I have a sun-deck front & center that is in 6 inches of water and it is 11' x 7' so I'll be looking at it a lot. Anyone?
I feel the exact same way- seems we are rare- most desire much darker and more pebble-y and more movement/ refraction. I am looking for more of the old- school white plaster with lighter- colored water (sort of like a shallow beach with clear aqua water). My builder loves Pebble Sheen, but Aqua Blue is darker and all of the aforementioned than I want. I really wanted to do one of the lighter Fina shades, but PB and pool tile/ finish places here all say that Fina hazes and mottles and just doesn't look as good (and that they'd likely need to be drained and acid washed within the first two years), so I've been trying to talk myself into Pebble Sheen White Diamonds or Arctic White (which I am not hearing costs substantially more, though I think I like the less grainy look on the sun shelf). What did you decide?

What did you decide? Ours will be finished/ plastered next week, and I still can't find my winner. I love the look and feel (sample) of Hydrazzo Grecian White, but my builder still insists that it will cloud and mottle and require draining/ acid washing sooner than later (and that it does not finish nearly as smooth as the sample suggests) and won't look as good as Pebble Sheen Arctic White. I love the look of Sheen Arctic White, but I want it smoother. I don't feel like Fina looks as good (at least from the samples, and photos of pools, it seems "flatter" and more like plain plaster), and builder says that will also cloud and mottle.

White actually hides the imperfections better than any other color.
Make sure you are happy with the color and the feel of the material on your skin.

We ended up going with Quartzscapes, one was due to cost and second was due to smoothness.

What did you decide? Ours will be finished/ plastered next week, and I still can't find my winner. I love the look and feel (sample) of Hydrazzo Grecian White, but my builder still insists that it will cloud and mottle and require draining/ acid washing sooner than later (and that it does not finish nearly as smooth as the sample suggests) and won't look as good as Pebble Sheen Arctic White. I love the look of Sheen Arctic White, but I want it smoother. I don't feel like Fina looks as good (at least from the samples, and photos of pools, it seems "flatter" and more like plain plaster), and builder says that will also cloud and mottle.
I have not chosen yet. Our tile is taking awhile. I still don’t even know.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What did you guys decide? Any photos? I'm still debating white plaster vs white plaster with added white quartz.

Attachments

• D816AD7A-B232-4975-A9BA-1A0C68D3DAF2.jpeg
    D816AD7A-B232-4975-A9BA-1A0C68D3DAF2.jpeg
    518.3 KB · Views: 35
  • 82B6B1D1-D03A-4F22-9A79-62B56816C6B9.jpeg
    82B6B1D1-D03A-4F22-9A79-62B56816C6B9.jpeg
    505.5 KB · Views: 38
  • 21519430-72E8-4080-B77E-B1CBE55D4157.jpeg
    21519430-72E8-4080-B77E-B1CBE55D4157.jpeg
    621.7 KB · Views: 40
  • 7D42C381-4653-4091-8839-F3481B97A839.jpeg
    7D42C381-4653-4091-8839-F3481B97A839.jpeg
    533.8 KB · Views: 41
Reactions: markayash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.