Anyone using a bromine Frog System?

Sjde

Apr 29, 2016
Denver CO
Can anyone tell me about the Frog system using a mineral (silver ion) cartridge and a bromine cartridge? One came with our spa and we never used it . We use a bromine floater with tabs instead. What is the advantage ? The Frog system is more costly but if it works better to keep consistent bromine levels, it would be worth it.

I do have 2 specific questions.

I read that you can't use bromide with it (inactivates the silver). So when I refill my spa I don't need to build up a bromine bank with the sodium bromide packets?

If water is changed monthly , does mineral cartridge get changed monthly or still every 4 months? TIA.

tim5055

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 11, 2014
Franklin, NC
Well, I haven't used a Frog and haven't used bromine in many years....

I just wanted to ask, why change water every month??

With city water I did it evey 3 - 4 months.

Now that I'm on a well with iron in the water it's more like 6 months.

MikeDelta62

Bronze Supporter
Aug 7, 2019
Atlanta GA
My spa can with an inline Frog system and was used for several months.
Question #1 - The product instructions only referred to the jump start packet and that's all I did. I recall the packet having dichlor shock but was mostly "Other ingredients". Sodium Bromide supplement was not needed based on test strip results.
Question #2 - The water change was every three months when the mineral cartridge was empty. I set the mineral cartridge to "6" and SmartClor/Bromine to "3". The SmartClor or Bromine cartridges lasted approximately 1 month. The website advertises monthly shock. I found this insufficient based on our bather load. You don't state if your system is inline or floating. If inline the mineral cartridge mounts above the SmartClor/Bromine.

Disclosure: I no longer use this method. I follow the Bromine sticky to the letter. The Frog instructions read to keep TA between 80-120. This will drive my water's PH well above 8.0. I didn't care for the sole source/expense/lack of availability of the cartridges or the proprietary strips that we not accurate. As a rental property I can see how this method is an issue.

Sjde

Apr 29, 2016
Denver CO
I don’t plan to keep the TA at that either because I have the same situation as you- if TA is 80, pH goes over 8.0.

I use a drop test kit, I don’t plan to use the strips- is that a problem? TheCS rep on the phone didn’t comment when I told him that, so I don’t think so.

I know it’ll be more expensive than the bromine floater I use now but I’m hoping it’ll be more consistent. Right now the floater doesn’t always bring the bromine up to 1-2 in the morning, if the level was at 0 after use the night before.

MikeDelta62

Bronze Supporter
Aug 7, 2019
Atlanta GA
You can try it but my opinion is, if using the SmartChlor, the chlorine free chlorine (FC) and combine chlorine (CC) results may not be accurate. I don't know about using the Bromine carts. You would have to compare results between the test kit and Frog strips. After I received my Taylor 2106 test kit, I used the Frog strips for the sanitization level and the test kit for everything else.

Last edited: