Anyone use a temperature logger?

kevreh

Bronze Supporter
Jun 2, 2007
Annandale, VA
Thought it would be nice to be able to see a graph or chart of my pools temp over time, readable with an app and ideally via wifi. There’s some Bluetooth ones but you have to go within a few feet to read them.

Thanks!

Sunnydaze

Silver Supporter
Mar 8, 2021
AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
The inkbird pool thermometer combined with the inkbird wifi hub will do just that. But my inkbird thermometer died after just a few months. They're not very water proof.

magiteck

Gold Supporter
May 20, 2020
Neenah, Wisconsin
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Solaxx (Saltron) Reliant / Purechlor R5
The inkbird pool thermometer combined with the inkbird wifi hub will do just that. But my inkbird thermometer died after just a few months. They're not very water proof.
For what it’s worth, my inkbird thermometer is on its second summer and still ticking. I even left it in the (frozen) pool all winter.

I use energizer lithium batteries for longer life and reduced leak/corrosion risk. I did notice a small amount of moisture inside last time I changed the batteries. I’ve added a couple silica gel / desiccant packs (like from a medicine bottle) to see if that will help keep the moisture down.

I haven’t gotten the Wi-Fi hub yet, but I’ve been tempted to do so.

kevreh

Bronze Supporter
Jun 2, 2007
Annandale, VA
That inkbird might be a good option. I like the floating temp probe. Need to look closer at the app to see if it charts temp data over time. It says it stores the data, just not sure if it provides the info in a chart or something.

Reactions: magiteck

mgtfp

Bronze Supporter
Mar 5, 2020
Melbourne, Australia
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Astral Viron V35
I started using an Inkbird this summer (Aussie summer that is). It's pretty good, but I also had issues with water getting in. First opened it when the batteries died, and saw why the batteries had died so soon. Batteries and water don't mix well.

I suspected that water might come through from the bottom, where the thermocouple couple with cables comes in. I filled the the bottom with a good blob of silicone to improve the sealing. I just got it out of the water again after two months or so and opened it, and it was completely dry on the inside. The silicone blob seems to have done it's job.

Just put it back into the pool, and also added two little desiccant sachets for additional peace of mind - great suggestion. Thanks to I don't know how many Covid-RATs for school testing, we have quite a collection of them now - I knew they'd come in handy at some point.

Reactions: magiteck

toolerb50

Gold Supporter
Jul 10, 2020
Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Reactions: IceShadow
Thread Status
Hello , This is an inactive thread. Any new postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. You will get much more visibility by Starting A New Thread