Anyone have experience with Tiger Shark In-ground Pool Cleaner?

martinezj1120

Nov 28, 2018
Michigan
Thoughts? I have the options to purchase the Tiger Shark In-ground robotic cleaner for around 800 bucks. I am a complete newbie and while this looks cool, trying to justify purchasing one.

FYI, I'm the type of person who has plenty of down time over the summer and don't mind doing daily maintenance over morning coffee. How much easier is this going to make my life?

This is the cleaner I am considering TigerShark® Series | Cleaners | In Ground Pool Cleaners - Hayward Pool Products Are there better options for the money?

**Also want to add, I have very few if any trees near my backyard so I don't anticipate a lot of leaves/debris in my pool.

Thanks!

Last edited:

derek533

Mar 23, 2017
Edmond, OK
I have a Hayward Sharkvac which is a lower tiered cleaner than the one you posted. It's pretty simplistic in that it doesn't have a caddy, remote, or any of the bells and whistles of more expensive cleaners and isn't designed to climb walls (it sometimes does until it realizes it shouldn't because I didn't pay the tax for such feature!). I have zero complaints about it and it does a good job of getting almost everything out. I've always doubted the effectiveness of any robot's scrubbing action because it always looks to me as though the scrubbers are just rotating at the same speed the cleaner is moving meaning the scrubber is just rolling over the surface and not actively scrubbing.

When my pool is really dirty, it may take me running it a couple of cycles before everything gets clean but that's no big deal to me and worth the savings. I think Amazon has them for about $450 right now.

Reactions: martinezj1120

DiverGirl1972

Gold Supporter
May 11, 2018
Delta, PA
We have the Tiger Shark with the Quick Clean option. We inherited it from the original owner and was likely a couple of years old. I love this thing and it works great. When it's time to replace, I see no reason why I wouldn't get another one just like it. It does get hung up on the drains from time to time (we have two), but if you don't have a drain, that's nothing you have to worry about.

Pool_Medic

Apr 1, 2018
Bangor Maine
Its not more than you need, it eliminates the need for brushing, it will filter your water to less than 10 microns, will scrub the waterline and it’s enjoying having a cold one while “insert nickname here” cleans the pool.

Uncle Salty

Gold Supporter
Feb 3, 2017
South Carolina
You won’t be disappointed, this will be my 3rd season with our TigerShark and it makes cleaning a breeze. I would recommend getting the caddy for it as well and a extra set of filters.

Salty

Jbrillo

Gold Supporter
Jun 11, 2018
League City, Texas
I’ve been using my Tiger Shark for 3-months now and I think it’s great. I don’t have any trees or plants in my backyard either so I only have to run him about once a week. Just be sure you keep the filters clean or it won’t clean as well. I don’t have the remote or caddy. I don’t think they’re necessary but your situation may vary.

usnacnd

Apr 23, 2019
Chesapeake, Virginia
We had a tiger shark (still have it for parts if anyone wants it - actually 2 of them because the inlaws gave us theirs for parts after it broke, but my husband is tired of fixing it). Ours worked well for many many years. You have to make sure the treads are in the middle of their tracks or it won't go straight. It needed new parts on several occasions but luckily my husband is handy and ordered the parts from Hayward and it was back in action. The current shark situation is that it goes in the pool, powers up, spits water out of the top, crawls forward about a foot then shuts off. Currently shopping for another one. With our pool, I wished that I had paid extra for the remote because it never got one corner of the deep end and one section of the shallow end. The cord tangles, but seems like they all do, and it let lots of debris go out of the filter when draining the water to pull it out of the pool. Did suck up most things in its way though. Heavy too!