Anyone else have leaking actuated valves?

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
I have a Pentair solar 3-way valve that is controlled by an Intermatic actuator.
What was a drip ever few seconds has not turned into a near constant stream out through the shaft area.

While doing pad maintenance, I took the valve apart (which looked fine), used a generous amount of silicone grease on the 2 shaft o-rings and put it all back together. Seemed to basically stop it at first ... until the actuator started moving again.

If I do not install the actuator, I have no leaks at all.

It almost seems like the actuator is not properly aligned and is putting sideways force on the shaft making it leak? :scratch:

The first Intermatic I got ended up having a crack internally, so the shaft would wobble and not hit the dip switches to stop the rotation. This is the replacement they sent me and wondering if there is just a design flaw with these.

Anyone else have a leaking valve problem with Intermatic actuators?
Are the more expensive actuators any better?

mas985

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 3, 2007
Pleasanton, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
I have had small leaks out of my Pentair solar valve before and usually replacing the o-rings helps. But I have found that it sometimes takes a couple of tries before I can stop the leaks. I have Goldline actuators but as far as I can tell, they aren't the cause of the leaks. But I can see how a misalignment could possibly cause a leak.

jblizzle

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2010
Tucson, AZ
They were leaking last year and I swapped the o-rings from an extra new valve ... did not seem to help.

AT one point I got the leak to slow down by loosening some of the screws, suppose I might just have to mess with it to see if I can get it to slow down.

Maybe I will see if I can get them to send me more o-rings, although nothing looks wrong with these.

Do you recall that there are supposed to be 2 o-rings with a plastic c-ring between them?

bobby1017

LifeTime Supporter
Feb 2, 2011
Petaluma, Ca
I have a Pentair solar 3-way valve that is controlled by an Intermatic actuator.
What was a drip ever few seconds has not turned into a near constant stream out through the shaft area.

Same here, my solar valve developed a leak last year, still about the same now, slow drip.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.