Anyone closed with a mesh cover and opened to crystal clear water?

thefloatqueen

Bronze Supporter
Dec 24, 2018
Columbus, OH
I bought a really nice micro-mesh cover from In The Swim that I will be putting on (hopefully) tomorrow or Wednesday when I close my pool. To those who have mesh covers, do you open to clear water in the spring or is a mess inevitable? I brought my pool to SLAM level 3 days ago and waiting for it to drift down to 10ppm (half-SLAM) so I can add the Polyquat, run pump 24 hrs, and close.

Since I’m closing late (water temperature is below 45 degrees!!!) and will be opening super early, do you think I need to worry? Water is currently crystal clear and I have already brushed/vacuumed but there’s still very small dirt particles in certain areas. Any experiences and/or advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Attachments

RonsPlc

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
May 31, 2015
Gaylesville, AL
What my water looked like immediately after taking the cover off of it the year before last.
Last year it was the same, but I just drained it because I was putting up a new pool.

Reactions: thefloatqueen

Newdude

Jun 16, 2019
NY
For 7 seasons my water has been as clear as possible at opening. Any silt or dust that gets in is long settled at the bottom and easily vacuums clean with 2 passes. The first pass stirs some of it up so a second pass is needed, but it’s a good idea to start the season with a thorough cleaning anyway.

Jnet

Bronze Supporter
Mar 15, 2017
Chicago/Northwest, IL
I get a lot of leaves and wind around the pool. I used a mesh cover for the first time last year. When I opened in the spring, it wasn't beautiful, but not bad. Nothing that a couple days of filtering and running the robot couldn't take care of. As you said, opening early is key to keeping algae from taking hold.