Any thoughts on using water-filled pressure gauges?

anthonypool89

Aug 26, 2016
Berks County, PA
I need a new one to start the season. I've seen these online but never tried any. I also want to try a 0-30 instead of 0-60 (who lets their DE filter pressure get above 30 anyway?). Any recommendations as to brand, etc.? Regular 1/4 in. bottom mount. Thanks.

mknauss

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
Bronze Supporter
May 3, 2014
Laughlin, NV

Quality gauge. Check it out.

Jimrahbe

Mod Squad
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 7, 2014
Bedford, TX
Anthony,

I have replaced all my stock 0 - 60 gauges with 0 - 30 oil filled gauges and could not be happier. I used the ones from TF-testkits as Marty has pointed out.

They are 100% better than any stock gauge.

Thanks,

Jim R.

anthonypool89

Aug 26, 2016
Berks County, PA
Just ordered the gauge from TFtestkits, but was a bit surprised (more like concerned) that, after buying it using PayPal, I was - as usual - redirected to the merchant but before I got back to TFtestkits I got a notice asking if I wanted to proceed since it was "not secure". I went on with it but now am wondering if I should have. Obviously, PayPal is secure, and presumably TF is secure also - had the usual https designation. Any idea why this might have happened? I wrote to TF for their thoughts on it. Have to be so paranoid nowadays...mostly about getting CV though!

kimkats

Mod Squad
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 10, 2012
Tallahassee, FL
TFT is run by a very reputable ecommerce company, CoreCommerce, and they have to keep all their SSL certs up. They have never had any issues with security and customer information. I am sure it has been taken care of. Thanks for letting us know!

anthonypool89

Aug 26, 2016
Berks County, PA
One question about these gauges. The instructions that came with it refer to pulling the pin out half-way to vent any internal pressure. Am I correct that, once done, the gauge stays in that half-way position? Or is this venting something that needs to be redone periodically by adjusting the pin? I'm thinking once and done.

After posting, I did some quick checking on this (the link provided with the gauge instructions didn't work) and found this: HOW TO RESET A LIQUID FILLED PRESSURE GAUGE which would seem to indicate that it's a simple recalibration if the reading is not currently at zero after shipping. So the pin gets pushed back in after doing a reset. Pretty cool. I've never used one of these before so looking forward to seeing how it works. 😃

Last edited:
Reactions: kimkats