Any opinions on which solar cover to get?

Mar 26, 2014
San Jose, CA
I currently have a Sun2Solar 12ml clear cover that I've had since June 2018. I noticed that the bubbles started falling apart by the end of last year's swimming season. It's probably time for a new one. When I went to look for the same cover i bought in '18, I was shocked to see that the price has gone up by $80, so I started looking at alternatives.

I've narrowed it down to this one and a 16 mil one sold by IntheSwim. for around the same price. Anyone have any opinions about this? Has anyone ever bought any IntheSwim covers? I'm concerned about the quality. I'd even listen to alternatives. I pretty much need a cover that's 20' x 40' .

I order mine from eBay, and they always come in boxes from In the Swim, but cost less. From what I have read on here, I don't think the thicker ones last any longer, just harder to manage. They normally last me about 2 seasons. I usually pay around $100 for an 18x34, but looking on there now it appears the prices have gone up some.

I just got a 20x40 8mil solar cover off amazon for $133 for my new 16x38 fiberglass pool. The thin one is so much easier to maneuver and trim to fit. I’m happy with it 👍
FB64F2C8-D702-43CC-B6D3-4754842E685D.jpeg76E591BD-93B8-48C4-9E55-C765997021A9.jpeg3DDF2642-D750-40E8-BC43-612B4528CE9F.jpeg

I'm looking for the most heat retention possible. I'm aware that most covers last around 2 to 3 pool seasons. Sun2Solar has a chart listing the clear 12ml and 16ml covers as the best heat retention and heat creating covers, but I'm a little weary of that after what I have read on here and other places.

Reactions: Apsuhead
I'm looking for the most heat retention possible. I'm aware that most covers last around 2 to 3 pool seasons. Sun2Solar has a chart listing the clear 12ml and 16ml covers as the best heat retention and heat creating covers, but I'm a little weary of that after what I have read on here and other places.
Thickness won’t matter. It’s not there for insulation, it’s there to stop evaporative cooling, and maybe a little bit to collect heat from the sun.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.