Any issue with running my SWG at 100% while slamming?

Rock,

We recommend against doing this since you can't tell how much FC is consumed by algae. Won't hurt your swg but makes it harder to figure out when you're ready to do an OCLT and you can't do an OCLT with it running.

Chris

I have read many posts stating that the SWG should be off during SLAM. The most oft stated reason is that you don't want to work your SWG that hard,

Having said that, I do run mine during a SLAM. I find that it makes it much easier to keep the chlorine level where it belongs. I don't think a couple of days in a year are going to make that much difference in the life of an SWG. My last SWG cell was still going strong when we moved after 9 years.

I bring it up to the level called for with liquid chlorine, then use the SWG as a buffer. I turn the SWG off at night before I check for my OCLT, then turn it back on after I check in the morning. The SWG can't bring the level up quickly and provide the shock you are looking for, so always add the required amount of liquid chlorine to shock it and bring it the level you need based on the FC/CYA chart.

I also find that with the SWG running, I don't need to check my levels every two hours - I only check morning, noon, and night. For me, I don't have to run it at 100% to maintain the level - usually somewhere around 50%-75% the first day works well, then I back it off the next day. It normally is done in two days.

I don't think a couple of days in a year are going to make that much difference in the life of an SWG.
It makes exactly that difference. No more. No less. There is no work hard or easy. It’s on or off. Reaching the 8k-10k lifespan 60 hours early will be impossible to tell. But the SLAM needs one set of rules to work for all, worldwide in any climate. And when people who cheat with the SWG don’t entirely finish, they are back to square one before long blaming the SLAM, not their shortcuts.

I have read many posts stating that the SWG should be off during SLAM. The most oft stated reason is that you don't want to work your SWG that hard,

Having said that, I do run mine during a SLAM. I find that it makes it much easier to keep the chlorine level where it belongs. I don't think a couple of days in a year are going to make that much difference in the life of an SWG. My last SWG cell was still going strong when we moved after 9 years.

I bring it up to the level called for with liquid chlorine, then use the SWG as a buffer. I turn the SWG off at night before I check for my OCLT, then turn it back on after I check in the morning. The SWG can't bring the level up quickly and provide the shock you are looking for, so always add the required amount of liquid chlorine to shock it and bring it the level you need based on the FC/CYA chart.

I also find that with the SWG running, I don't need to check my levels every two hours - I only check morning, noon, and night. For me, I don't have to run it at 100% to maintain the level - usually somewhere around 50%-75% the first day works well, then I back it off the next day. It normally is done in two days.

that’s exactly what I did, I run my SWG at 100% during the day and then I turn it off at night so that my overnight test is accurate.

The most oft stated reason is that you don't want to work your SWG that hard,
If that is the most stated reason, it shouldn't be.

The SLAM is intended to be run without use of the SWG. The folks who devised the SLAM don't care about the extra wear on your SWG, they care about your understanding and measuring accurately the chlorine loss as your SLAM progress.

Dose to SLAM value at 1:00 PM. retest at 4:00 pm and FC remains at SLAM value. That confuses many, many people and as stated above, tricks many into thinking they are done with the SLAM when, in fact they may have lost 6 ppm

Shut off the SWG and allow each re-dose to describe your true FC loss over that time period. It helps everyone understand the diminishing nature of FC consumption and allows the SLAMmer to follow the trend.

As we progress,, all of us likely develop techniques that work for you as an individual.......that's fine but TFP develops guidelines that are designed to work for everyone. Turn off your SWG if you are going to SLAM.

Reactions: mgtfp and kellyfair
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.