Any idea what can damaged a spider gasket changed one month ago

Thomas Vegas

Mar 5, 2019
Las Vegas
Hello, I had an issue with my sand filter and my spider gasket 1 month ago. I figured it out and changed it, only the gasket (was a pain to remove because glued). After one month, same issue, water going through the waste outlet after a backwash.
I opened the head of the filter and found the spider gasket completely damaged (see my picture)
So what could cause that? Heat? Chlorine? (I went through a slam process during the last month) or just bad quality one?
Thank you for your opinion.

Attachments

• FBEA7B4E-04ED-47EB-BB06-5620BDDCFF8B.jpeg
    FBEA7B4E-04ED-47EB-BB06-5620BDDCFF8B.jpeg
    348.7 KB · Views: 47
Its recommended to lube with silicon on installation. Also its recommended to only turn the lever only one way(clockwise). Did you check surface smoothness before install on mating surfaces?

Reactions: mariane
Thank you guys for your responses.
I used the “magic lube” from Aladdin.
I never turned while the pump is running.
But I probably turned it both way... I didn’t, I know now, but I doubt it’s that, not in a short term.
I am thinking more a chemical reaction...

That's almost always due to a tab feeder nearby.

When the pump is off, the concentrated chlorine from the feeder migrates through the system and destroys everything in its path.

Reactions: borjis
That's almost always due to a tab feeder nearby.

When the pump is off, the concentrated chlorine from the feeder migrates through the system and destroys everything in its path.
4 minutes ago
True, the tab feeder... I just installed it 2 month ago, before following the TFP guys advices and use liquid chlorine only...
Why they are selling feeder if it’s not good... I don’t use anymore but I planned to use when I am traveling...

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You can use the tab chlorinator for vacations provided you know your CYA level.
Know what you are using and how much. Don't overload the feeder.
After you come home, continue to let the tabs dissolve until gone or remove them
so they don't cause damage to your gasket etc.They have bad fumes, so I prefer to
let them dissolve.

Of course, you could always just use a floater with tabs for vacation time.

You can use the tab chlorinator for vacations provided you know your CYA level.
Know what you are using and how much. Don't overload the feeder.
After you come home, continue to let the tabs dissolve until gone or remove them
so they don't cause damage to your gasket etc.They have bad fumes, so I prefer to
let them dissolve.

Of course, you could always just use a floater with tabs for vacation time.
Great, thank you!

Reactions: Lilypad
Hello, I changed the completete key, cover and handle assembly (SPX0714BA) and the o-ring, in order to replace my spider gasket. Before when I went on "recirculate" position water went out, makes sense the gasket was done. But now with the part changed, some water still go out... What it could be? Another gasket after is also damaged? Thank you for your help

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.