Any GOOD door alarms?

joshso

Aug 15, 2021
Philadelphia, PA
We're in the process of our build and I just installed the Pool Guard door alarms. They seem like something that should've been discontinued in the 90's. We have two separate patio doors that I need them on; of course one of them doesn't work properly. I've searched this site and see that some people remove them after inspection; we have a two year old so they will remain up. I can only find one other brand of door alarm (and they have pretty bad reviews). Is there anything out there that works, will satisfy our final inspection and most importantly help us keep our son safe?

Reactions: Emyers74
I have these. Not sure if they will satisfy your inspector (you will have to ask) but they definitely work, they are very loud , I have had them for almost 10 years & only changed the batteries once. They are also very cost effective. They are on all my doors & windows.
6ED3FCC7-40CF-4ACF-965F-F6AF12CDA541.png

Reactions: Emyers74 and joshso
Multiple barriers will help keep your child safe.
Door alarms are one barrier - but not very reliable.
Seriously consider putting up an approved pool fence. Doesn't matter if you think it's ugly or not. Your childs safety is way more important than aesthetics.

I can only find one other brand of door alarm (and they have pretty bad reviews). Is there anything out there that works, will satisfy our final inspection and most importantly help us keep our son safe?
If you have a home security system, you should be able to set the door to chime. Could even be set to alarm but would notify the monitoring (if you have) Where I live, this meets inspection requirements but may not be suitable for your needs.

Reactions: Mdragger88
We're in the process of our build and I just installed the Pool Guard door alarms. They seem like something that should've been discontinued in the 90's. We have two separate patio doors that I need them on; of course one of them doesn't work properly. I've searched this site and see that some people remove them after inspection; we have a two year old so they will remain up. I can only find one other brand of door alarm (and they have pretty bad reviews). Is there anything out there that works, will satisfy our final inspection and most importantly help us keep our son safe?
A sturdy fence with proper functioning self-closing hinges is the ONLY thing that works. It’s not worth the risk.

Reactions: proavia
I appreciate everyones feedback, I fully understand safety and that a fence around the pool is necessary. Supply chains are a mess right now so I can't even get fencing. My question was in regards to door alarms...if anyone else has any recommendations for a door alarm that works please let me know.

Some areas allow a delay of up to 7 seconds for the alarm to sound after the door opens. This delay allows one to enter from the outside without sounding the alarm, eliminating the need for an outdoor bypass switch.

My area requires immediate activation. This requirement limits the choice of alarms since an outdoor bypass switch is needed to avoid activating the alarm when entering from the outside.

Knowing that you're looking for alternatives to Pool Guard, I will say I have the Pool Guard alarm with the wireless bypass switch. My daughter was born about the same time the pool was finished, so like you, I kept the alarm installed. It has worked flawlessly for over five years and the outdoor switch battery is still good. If you have this model, make sure you mount the bypass switch as close in elevation and alignment with the indoor unit on the other side of the door.

Look at Wyze, I have their home security system that chirps when a door opens and I also have outdoor cameras that have person detection and can send a notification to any phone using the app. I like them because their stuff is a lot cheaper, outdoor camera is $30 vs $100 and outstanding quality. They even have a wireless one that you recharge.

But I agree with others, by the time you know might be too late..

I also highly recommend professional swimming lessons for the 2 year old's. They teach them how to react if they fall in and at the end usually throw them in with cloths in ( sounds worse then it is, kids actually enjoy it ) and make sure they know not to panic but paddle to the side.

I appreciate everyones feedback, I fully understand safety and that a fence around the pool is necessary. Supply chains are a mess right now so I can't even get fencing. My question was in regards to door alarms...if anyone else has any recommendations for a door alarm that works please let me know.
Consider a glass exterior door that is keyed on both sides; offers a second line of defense. You might also consider installing a deadbolt or latch at the top of the exterior door that a toddler cannot reach.

A family friend lost their two boys to a unattended swimming pool, then the wife committed suicide in the pool. It's no joke and not something that should be taken lightly. Without a fence, I don't think I could keep the pool in operation. I'd rather drain it.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support

If there are supply chain issues to aquire and install a pool fence, maybe you should consider delaying plaster until a pool fence is in place.

Have you called around to look for pool fencing or are you only relying on your PB and their suppliers?

Door alarms have their place - but so does a properly installed pool fence. Don't sacrifice safety to get the pool done or meet your PB timeline. At the end of the day, the safety of your family is your responsibility.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.