Any downside to cutting this skimmer hose?

joseywales

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 11, 2009
Exton, PA
I recently had a heater installed and they hard piped it to the pool. I still have a hose coming from the skimmer. If you look toward the back of the picture, you'll see it and I think I can cut one section off, to clean up the slack on the ground. Any downside?

Attachments

• H1 IMG_2402 - Copy.jpg
    H1 IMG_2402 - Copy.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 40
I can't tell from here but if the hose has rings on the length and flat cuffs on the ends, the cuffs are needed for the band clamp to make a good seal. If the hose is smooth for the entire length then you should be able to cut it without problems. Smooth hose is generally stiffer, so you may need to replace the hose you have instead of trimming it.

I can't tell from here but if the hose has rings on the length and flat cuffs on the ends, the cuffs are needed for the band clamp to make a good seal. If the hose is smooth for the entire length then you should be able to cut it without problems. Smooth hose is generally stiffer, so you may need to replace the hose you have instead of trimming it.

It has the flat cuffs. They are run every so often for exactly that reason, to cut it. There's a "set" of the cuffs in the middle of the entire length of the hose. I've been looking at it for years, thinking, why didn't they cut it in the middle and make the hose shorter??? The only reason i can figure is they gave me length in case I wanted to reroute the hose. The only reason I really want to shorten it is that I think it will help when i connect my vacuum. Each time I try to start the vacuum, I have to use the bleeder on the filter, which is fine, but it seems to take longer than it should before the water really starts circulating and the vacuum gets going. It's probably 2 minutes, but I'm just standing there and it's like watching paint dry.

How about creating a little pit and tucking everything underground, including the black wire. I created a pit with pressure treated wood and made my own cover. This was for the sprinkler lines that the pool builder destroyed. I may have some pictures and will attach soon.

Can not find pictures! Basically a square box that you can tuck everything in. You can either drill a 2" hole through the wood, or just notch something out. Black tubing from Lowes or Home depot works great and you can even bury it in the ground elimination the hoses. If you need to disconnect, they can slide right out.

How about creating a little pit and tucking everything underground, including the black wire. I created a pit with pressure treated wood and made my own cover. This was for the sprinkler lines that the pool builder destroyed. I may have some pictures and will attach soon.

Can not find pictures! Basically a square box that you can tuck everything in. You can either drill a 2" hole through the wood, or just notch something out. Black tubing from Lowes or Home depot works great and you can even bury it in the ground elimination the hoses. If you need to disconnect, they can slide right out.

That might be an option. If I had known they were going to hard pipe, I would have had that run underground perhaps. That black wire is actually my hose filling the pool. It felt like I was filling it with an eye dropper! Maybe a pool company would have actually brought a water truck. It took two freakin days to fill that thing.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.