Any downside to a large pool? 24’x50’

Southpool

Jun 6, 2020
South AR
We are in the planning stages. I’m looking at a 24’x50‘ chlorine liner pool. 3.5’ to 9’.
42,370 gallons.

Pentair 3hp intelliflo vs pump.

My question is, other than initial installation costs, what are the negatives to owning a pool this size?

Thanks for the help.

The chemicals will be 3X the amount and cost of a typical 14k gallon pool.
it will be hard to vacuum/brush without getting in it. There is alot more to vacuum/brush. There is more evaporation from a larger surface area (footprint) of pool. If you loose 3 inches of water, it will be ALOT of water.

That all being said i have a 20x40 with 35k gallons so volume wise its not that far off. We are moving and will be building another pool at some point and if I have the budget I would go bigger than I have now in a heartbeat. Both deeper than my 8ft and wider. I certainly wouldn't mind more than 40 ft long, but if I had to choose 2 ways to expand it would be width and depth.

Brushing a pool that size is definitely going to be work. On the other hand, you can skip the arm exercises at the gym.

Heating such a big pool is unaffordable unless you own a natural gas mine. Or Jeff Bezos is your uncle. A huge set of solar panels may be worth it if you get a lot of sun during the spring and fall edges of the swim season.

Last edited:
As long as you also have room for plenty of deck space, it sounds great! Just make sure the boards of people that you’ll be hosting have places to sit and mingle.

It’s a rectangle shape pool. It has a 6’ wide x 24’ tanning ledge/stair combo. Definitely not planning to heat it. South Arkansas weather isn’t too cold. I’m more worried about keeping it cool this time of year enough to swim in.

Would a robotic vac not take care of the cleaning? New to pools so I’m learning all I can.

I have a 20x50 pool at 35,000 gallons. You will need a 60K SWG to chlorinate it and only Pentair and Circupool make 60K SWGs. Be careful if you are getting Jandy or Hayward equipment and automation.

The pool takes more chemicals and draining/filling that size pool takes a while. You lose more water to evaporation due to the increased surface area and it uses more fill water.

Reactions: HermanTX
I’m more worried about keeping it cool this time of year enough to swim in.
You may want to consider a chiller. Best thing we ever did for our pool, as we had gotten to where we wouldn’t use it during the hottest part of the year, which is kinda contradictory to the whole purpose. Water stays around 80 now!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.