Any alternatives to water tubes/bags

waste

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 29, 2007
Coastalish 'down easter'
The 'aquablocks' are terrible! They don't hold enough water and are a real PITA to move!

Bleach bottles are OK, but it takes a LOT of them to properly do the job.

Oh yeah, water tubes also TRULY suck!

I had one pool owner, irregular pool, who home-rigged some 1" PVC pipe filled with sand. He had the 90*s, 45*s and couplings all set (he numbered the pieces and had a diagram). I think he sealed the ends with a glob of silicon caulk, once the sand was in. This system, used with a solid tarp, worked great! This guy was one of the customers i never dreaded going to see or work on his pool!

Johnny B

LifeTime Supporter
Mar 19, 2009
Charlotte, NC
Waste,
He just laid it on the plastic? No rolling it under etc?
1 inch w sand was heavy enough? You guys get plenty of wind, no?

I'm considering a tarp on top of my safety mesh cover because so much debris goes through & I read about all the guys opening w clear water when they use a solid cover.

But if I don't put some slack in the plastic the plastic will tear if we get snow & it sinks (as designed) w the mesh cover, right? Any comments appreciated.

X-PertPool

TFP Expert
In The Industry
Jun 12, 2009
Exeter, PA
Buckets filled with water are nice because if they get dragged into the pool they wont be hard to get out of the pool unlike sand bags

icfbuild

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 20, 2010
Central Kentucky
I know you are talking about inground. But for my above ground, I secured the cover with shrink wrap. It works by keeping the wind from blowing up the cover.

Other Threads of Interest