Antifreeze in Skimmer

JFS61

Aug 16, 2015
Bryan, Texas
Any tips for us crazy Texans?

Do we just put an full, unopened jug of RV Antifreeze in the skimmer basket, or do we partially empty it to give to give it more crushability?

Leebo

Admin
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2011
Eastern Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Are you totally closing your pool?

Pour some into a water bottle and place the water bottle into the skimmer. Don’t fill it all the way up, but maybe 1/2 full. Once this is in there the bottle becomes the weak spot and takes the bulk of the pressure. You also can place torn up pool noodles in there.

JFS61

Aug 16, 2015
Bryan, Texas
Are you totally closing your pool?

Pour some into a water bottle and place the water bottle into the skimmer. Don’t fill it all the way up, but maybe 1/2 full. Once this is in there the bottle becomes the weak spot and takes the bulk of the pressure. You also can place torn up pool noodles in there.

Yeah. I had already pulled the plugs on the pump and filter back in November to save wear and tear on the system (it's over twenty year old). I thought about getting it up and running again, but mknauss said to leave it be. We've never had any problem not running it in the past during freezes, but then in those cases it never really much below the high-teens. This single digit bit is something new to us.

Even worse, is what to do about our house pipes, as most people just toss on faucet covers for a couple of days. Concerned, as even though they've held to the teens in the past, how well will they hold with it getting near zero is uncharted territory for us.

Apsuhead

Bronze Supporter
Apr 27, 2020
Clarksville TN
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-9)
I poured half the bottle of RV antifreeze into the skimmer and then left the half full bottle floating in there with the cap off.

Leebo

Admin
TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Jul 21, 2011
Eastern Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Don’t poke a hole, let it stay full.

Thread Status
Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.