Another winterizing question! Block skimmer?

negativez0

Gold Supporter
Jun 6, 2017
Minnesota
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Shutting the pool down today. I'm going to bring the filter, hoses, and pump into the house for the winter. Do I just leave the bottom of the skimmer and the return open after I drain down the pool 6-8" below them? Should I leave the cover on the skimmer basket? I wouldn't want any animals crawling through under the liner.20221021_111053.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The bottom of the skimmer is good to leave open. Place a stepping stone or such under it so any water that gets out doesn't erode the pool wall edge. Leave the cover nice and secured like it is. (y)

Plug the return. If water gets out of the skimmer, it's away from the pool water. If it leaves the return, it will run down the wall.

Snow and ice on top of the cover can push downward, raising the water level some at the perimeter where it can spill out of any openings.

The bottom of the skimmer is good to leave open. Place a stepping stone or such under it so any water that gets out doesn't erode the pool wall edge. Leave the cover nice and secured like it is. (y)

Plug the return. If water gets out of the skimmer, it's away from the pool water. If it leaves the return, it will run down the wall.

Snow and ice on top of the cover can push downward, raising the water level some at the perimeter where it can spill out of any openings.

Thanks! Is there a simple plug I can get from a hardware store? I don't have one and need to shut down and cover it today. I'm not sure what to plug it with

The doughboy skimmer has a hole/port for vacuuming so it needs a plate like this
Aquador Doughboy Above Ground Pool Skimmer Cover - 1020 https://a.co/d/aVFz6Ry
Or a regular skimmer block & another plug for that port
Or the water must be drained below that port.

Reactions: Newdude
The doughboy skimmer has a hole/port for vacuuming so it needs a plate like this
Aquador Doughboy Above Ground Pool Skimmer Cover - 1020 https://a.co/d/aVFz6Ry
Or a regular skimmer block & another plug for that port
Or the water must be drained below that port.

That is how I plug my skimmer as well, but I use a pop in as opposed to a snap on plug, but still the same concept.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.