Another trichlor question and CYA....

mrdorkdar

Nov 23, 2017
Lake Forest, CA
So if my chlorine has stabilizer built into it and I am constantly adding chlorine to my pool, isn't the CYA level rising constantly or is CYA burning off as the chlorine burns off in the sun? I guess I don't understand if the chlorine burns away but the CYA remains in the water or if they burn away together...?

Your CYA is constantly rising. That is why trichlor is not a sustainable method to add chlorine to your pool.

Because it is cheap and easy to use.

And let's face it, when the CYA level rises in a pool and causes the chlorine to become ineffective at the levels instructed by Leslie's then it pushes the sale of algaecides and phosphate removers. There's profit in those pucks.

Ease of use. And many pool owners have no clue.

Once the CYA gets unsustainable, the pool store will say they have 'chlorine lock', or their TDS is 'too high'. And they have to drain the pool.

Realize that with the trichlor method, followed by a 'shock' once a week, nearly all those pool have algae in them. They are just being kept away from going full on green. That is why they are all cloudy compared to a TFP pool.

Your chlorinator only accepts trichlor pucks. Do not put anything else in it.

Add liquid chlorine daily, or install a SWCG or Stenner liquid chlorine dispenser.

If I have a vinyl pool, is liquid chlorine bad for the vinyl?
No. Chlorine is chlorine. Liquid chlorine is sodium hypochlorite. Chlorine, water, a bit of salt.

When you pour it into the pool, you do it at a return with the pump running. Pour slowly with only a pencil sized stream. Push your brush around that area if you like.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Note that if you know what your CYA level is, and you know it can go up a bit, you can use a chlorinator like that when you are on vacation and otherwise unable to put liquid chlorine into the pool. Your CYA will go up a bit, but if that works out, you can keep chlorine in the pool while away.

But no, it's not sustainable to only chlorinate with pucks.

IF CYA gets to High, the only way to bring it down is water replacement. Either through rain (not terribly effective), or drain and refill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.