Another Texas freeze help post

jimithing

Apr 1, 2021
Dallas
Hopefully you all don't mind another Texan looking for some pool help from our freeze. The house/pool lost power for days during our recent storm so everything froze up. We're on wait lists for pool repair companies but they're still weeks out. The pool and equipment have been at the house since my family purchased it about 20 years ago. The pump has been changed a few times but I believe the pipes and filter are original to the pool - circa probably mid 1980's. The pipes are cracked in multiple places, the filter housing is bent to the point where I don't think it can make a good seal anymore. Since the system is getting air in it anytime it runs, it's hard to tell if the pump is still good or not. At this point it's looking like it might just be best to remove it all and start over. The pool itself is about 22,000 gallons with a spa. It only has 1 skimmer which is occupied by a kreepy krauly. The filter on there now is a 36 sq ft filter. Of course there are drains at the bottom of the pool and spa.

As I mentioned, we've never had to buy a filter before but I do think we want to stick with a DE filter vs a cartidge. Beyond that I guess I'm not sure what to look for in a filter or pump. Obviously we want equipment that will last and will be easy to get parts for when needed. Brands of filters and pumps I've looked at are Hayward, Pentair, Jandy and Waterway but I don't really know what makes one better or worse than the others. Guy at the pool store was recommending a 48 sq ft filter and a ~1.5hp variable speed pump no matter which brand. Any suggestions? I've attached some pics of what's there now.

Attachments

• 639000749.jpg
    639000749.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 31
  • 639000705.jpg
    639000705.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 32
  • 639000672.jpg
    639000672.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 31
Hey there..... so sorry to read about the pool woes :( Otherwise welcome to Trouble Free Pools.

I don't know if you're planning on doing any of the repairs or sourcing of the equipment, but let me just drop on you that Jandy makes it near impossible for pool owners to install the equipment yourself. They void the warranty then.

There is a big backlog for parts these days (who ever anticipated a run on so many pool parts at one time before?!) and people are having a hard time finding stuff.

Just a heads up on the problem.

Maddie :flower:

At this point it's looking like it might just be best to remove it all and start over. The pool itself is about 22,000 gallons with a spa.
If your budget allows this, then a fresh hookup can really help you over the longterm.
Get a Variable Speed pump
Filter - lots of different views on DE vs. Cartridge. While a DE filters smaller particles, a cartridge makes your plumbing simpler (no backwash valve like you have now) and no need to do monthly backwashes or handle DE. It is a personal preference and if you really want DE then by all means go that direction.
Chlorinator - it was hard to see in your photo but how are you chlorinating your pool? The TFP methodology leads to either a salt system (SWCG) or use of liquid chlorine. Do not use pucks.
If you go with a SWCG suggest you have pump from same mfg. as integration may be easier but not mandatory. Does not matter if filter is of different mfg.
Pentair, Hayward and Jandy are the big 3 in pool equipment. Just need to read the warranties and if a certified installer is mandatory or not to maintain warranty. Obviously equipment availability may be a factor as to who you ultimately select.
Do you have any friends or family in another state (such as East or West of Texas) where they may be able to purchase equipment and have it shipped to you? Obviously there is a shipping cost factor but may be justifiable if you are waiting for several more months.

If your budget allows this, then a fresh hookup can really help you over the longterm.
Get a Variable Speed pump
Filter - lots of different views on DE vs. Cartridge. While a DE filters smaller particles, a cartridge makes your plumbing simpler (no backwash valve like you have now) and no need to do monthly backwashes or handle DE. It is a personal preference and if you really want DE then by all means go that direction.
Chlorinator - it was hard to see in your photo but how are you chlorinating your pool? The TFP methodology leads to either a salt system (SWCG) or use of liquid chlorine. Do not use pucks.
If you go with a SWCG suggest you have pump from same mfg. as integration may be easier but not mandatory. Does not matter if filter is of different mfg.
Pentair, Hayward and Jandy are the big 3 in pool equipment. Just need to read the warranties and if a certified installer is mandatory or not to maintain warranty. Obviously equipment availability may be a factor as to who you ultimately select.
Do you have any friends or family in another state (such as East or West of Texas) where they may be able to purchase equipment and have it shipped to you? Obviously there is a shipping cost factor but may be justifiable if you are waiting for several more months.

Thanks for the reply. Chlorine has been delivered with pucks as long as we've owned the house. I did a quick search and see why you're suggesting to not use pucks. I am actually going to be making a road trip to Alabama next week. Maybe I should think about seeing what's available along the way.

Reactions: wolverine
Chlorine has been delivered with pucks as long as we've owned the house. I did a quick search and see why you're suggesting to not use pucks.
Well now is the time to change away from pucks. You need to refer to the FC/CYA Levels and see .

Since you are planning to replumb everything, would you consider going with a SWCG (saltwater chlorine generator) to sanitize your pool? You would plumb this in after the filter and before the valve that goes back to your pool. I do not see a heater but if you do have one, then it would go after the heater. Alternatively, you can pour liquid chlorine in your pool. That will be a daily chore, many of us do it. Obviously a SWCG adds more upfront costs to your rebuild of your equipment pad. You could plan for it and ensure you have pipe ready to accept it and purchase it later (even a year from now). Just an idea for you to consider.
Your idea for your trip to Alabama is good. You may want to call your local pool service to see if they will install your equipment if you purchase it separately (tell them about your planned trip since they cannot get the equipment). Then, try to call ahead to a pool store or 2 wherever you are heading and maybe pre-order or see what they have.

Keep checking on eBay. I just received my Pentair 60 Plus FNS unit today, from "Seller: intheswimpoolsupplies" Also, check Marketplace on Facebook. Some one in Euless had a garage full of filters. I think they were about $300 higher that you can get in a store though - so I passed on that.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.