Tempe, AZ
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hello everyone! This is my first time posting, but I've read many posts!

I am having an issue with my pool balance. We just had some pool work done two weekends ago. A skimmer was replaced, a SWG (updated in my sig) added, and a new VS motor. About half of the pool water has been replaced recently for the work, as well as backwashing too much accidentally. Also, we had about 3 days of rain this last week. Plus, I cleaned out the DE filter.
I have the SWG at 100% during the evening running from 1 am to 6 am daily, with the pump running about 3100 rpm.
I'm not sure how reliable my pool chemicals are, so we are going to replace them soon. They are less than a year old, so they should be good (from posts I have read).

FC: 0 (added a gallon of 10% chlorine two days ago)
TC: 0.5
pH: 7.8
TA: 70
CH: 260 (added 3-4 lbs of increaser 3 days ago)
CYA: 30 (Added a gallon of stabilizer(?) 3 days ago)
Salt: 3582
Borate: 100 (it keeps going up and up. Was at 50 for a long time)

Does anyone have any advice?

Last edited:
Hey Husky and Welcome to posting !!!

As a well read member you just KNOW we are gonna ask how you're testing. 😁

So if those are reliable results, here goes :

Your SWG is 4X your pool volume and needs to run 6 hours at 100% on the average day to produce enough FC. You are currently 1 hour short. Being in AZ and the peak season you may need some more runtime over the 6 hours.

You need liquid FC to be in target range pronto. Like yesterday. See FC/CYA Levels

Perform an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test to see if any algae started while you were at low/no FC

If you fail, SLAM Process
If you pass, or after you pass SLAM, we need to raise the CYA to 70 to start. If that doesn't hold well enough then we go to 80 because Arizona.

Reactions: zraihusky
Also, the SWG only needs enough flow to activate the flow switch to turn on. There is no need for 3100 RPMs and most will work at 1200ish. Start real low and increase RPMs until the flow switch turns the unit on. Add 100RPMs to account for the flow decreasing as the filter gets dirty. This is your new run RPM for the SWG. If you need higher for a heater, or water features, etc, run to their need, but only when they need. The rest of the time run to satisfy the SWG.

If you run low for a while and notice you need more skimking/filtering, add an hour of higher RPMs, say, 1900. See if that skims/filters OK. Its a bit of trial and error but you'll get it.

Great information on the SWG! Thank you so much!!
I am using the TP-100 (I think that's the name of the one from TFP store)
I did forget to mention that the water is crystal clear!
I'll run the overnight chlorine loss test tonight or tomorrow!

I'll get another gallon and half of the stabilizer into the pool this weekend! I was a little hesitant because I've never needed to add more before. I'm just scared that I'll have to dilute again.

Thank you so much for the information and advice!

Reactions: Newdude
I am using the TP-100 (I think that's the name of the one from TFP store
Awesome.
I did forget to mention that the water is crystal clear
Crystal clear is equally as awesome, but you need to OCLT because you hit minimum. Algae grows exponentially and by the time you can see it, that locomotive is gonna barrel you over. Prove its there/not there and you’ll keep the upper hand this early if it is.
I'm just scared that I'll have to dilute again.
It will only deplete (but slowly) if you are not adding shocks or pucks. Stick with the liquid chlorine and you’ll be fine once you get the CYA dialed in. :)
Thank you so much for the information and advice
That’s what we are here for. Ask away anytime.

Crystal clear is equally as awesome, but you need to OCLT because you hit minimum. Algae grows exponentially and by the time you can see it, that locomotive is gonna barrel you over. Prove its there/not there and you’ll keep the upper hand this early if it is.
Looks like we have an Algae problem! I didn't even think about doing the OCLT test. Thank you for the advice! FC started at 4 last night before bed, and now it is 0.5. I will start SLAM tonight!!

Reactions: Newdude
Happy Friday!
I've done the SLAM and I think it is done. The readings from last night and this morning were the same. I came home today and did another test and found my FC at 3, probably due to the sun. Should I consider it completed or keep at it? Are you able to see my logs? I can post them if not.

Thank you for the help!

Happy Friday!
Same to you !!! And woohoo.
The readings from last night and this morning were the same
Great !!
I came home today and did another test and found my FC at 3, probably due to the sun
6 is a pretty big loss but maybe not because Arizona. Can you do a CYA test now that it’s had almost a week to dirsperse ? If you’re still at 30, The 6 FC lost is more likely from the sun. If you’re up to 50 or more it’s probably not as it was well protected.
Are you able to see my logs?
Yup !! Good job.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Just did a CYA test and it's closer to 30 than 40.
We round up to every 10. 31+ = 40.
should be close to 70, correct
It should be 70 or maybe even 80 this time of year in AZ. But if you go too soon and have to keep SLAMing or start a new SLAM your new FC target will be 28, which is quite the bump.

So we want to make sure the SLAM is good and over. With a CYA of 40 I’m a little concerned with the 6ppm loss in 6 hours. But you did pass the OCLT, so there is that. I’d ride the SLAM one more day just to be sure.

If there is no overnight loss tonight and it holds ok tomorrow then raise the CYA to 70 and fire up the SWG.

Friday night, FC was at 5.5, and in the morning, it was 4.5. With that, I decided to continue with SLAM (which I don't see to be getting it up to 12ppm with the suggested added bleach). Last night it was 4.5, and I got up late this morning with the sun already on the pool for at least an hour and got 4ppm of FC.

I think I should get the FC up to 12ppm for the day, keep it like that, make sure it is 12ppm before bed, and see what it is in the morning. Am I going about this the long way by not having it up to 12ppm during SLAM?

Friday night, FC was at 5.5, and in the morning, it was 4.5. With that, I decided to continue with SLAM (which I don't see to be getting it up to 12ppm with the suggested added bleach). Last night it was 4.5, and I got up late this morning with the sun already on the pool for at least an hour and got 4ppm of FC.

I think I should get the FC up to 12ppm for the day, keep it like that, make sure it is 12ppm before bed, and see what it is in the morning. Am I going about this the long way by not having it up to 12ppm during SLAM?
By not getting to 12, you’re not really in SLAM. Important to add FC, Wait 30 minutes, then test. In the beginning, test more often and bring back to SLAM levels as much as possible. Helps speed it along rather than waiting until an arbitrary time (morning and night, etc).

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.