Plano, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi all! A little backstory: new build completed 12/2018. PB dropped the ball on startup and pool school. I hired a pool service company to get me started and maintain the pool over winter. My intent was to let them continue thru the summer so I could enjoy my new pool and figure out TFPC.

The pool service has maintained good levels to now, based on what I track with the TFTK. I think I'm ready to take over maintenance. I've got a couple gallons of muriatic acid, couple gallons of 10% bleach and a few lbs of borax & baking soda. I know (now) not to use the pucks, despite buying a dispenser (although what about using to add CYA then switching to bleach?).

One question, why dispense in front of returns or over the deep end, instead of in the skimmer like I see the pool service do?

Here's my readings from this morning after 3 days of pool activity.

Any advice? Wish me luck!

Last edited:
Looks good to me.
Use the pucks when you are going to be away from the pool for more than a few days. Test your CYA after using them.

Reactions: bigsapper
One question, why dispense in front of returns or over the deep end, instead of in the skimmer like I see the pool service do?
Because the bolus of strong acid or alkaline harms the pump seals. Solid materials can plug off the line or can take a very long time to dissolve in the filter.

Don't assume a pool service has your pool's best interest in mind. They need to get in and get out quickly and move on t the next house if they're going to make any money that day.

They often put potions in your pool we'd never use. You don't even need to buy anything but muriatic acid and liquid chlorine to take care of a pool. That other stuff (borax and baking soda) are only used when there is a problem with the chemistry.

Pools are easy to care for , especially when you know what you're putting in and why. Your test kit will guide you.

May the force be with you.....

Maddie :flower:

Thanks! I should add I'm running the filter @ 35gpm from 6am - 6pm daily. Then overnight 3 nights a week for 3 hours @ 70gpm, to run the pool cleaner.

Yeah, the pool service is onsite about 6-7 minutes total every week. The "report" is a joke. My initial primary concern was warranty, but since my PB flaked out on me, I'm not counting that I really have one anymore.

FYI -- as you are adding liquid chlorine to chlorinate, you do not need to run your pump nearly that much, unless you need to skim the surface that much.

That was based on a calculator to turn my pool over twice per day. I read that even though you run much longer at a lower setting, you'll use much less energy overall.

Am I misinformed?

Turnover is a myth. Your pool water chemistry keeps your water clear. The filter removes stuff that falls in the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.