Another Noobie with High CYA

Mar 5, 2016
Central CT
I got my pool cover off and filled and checked the chemicals. My CYA is over 100... I did a dilution test and it looks like its pretty close to 200. I hate how subjective the test is, but it'll have to do. I actually checked it earlier in the year but the water was cold and I did it inside and not outside. I think that gave me a false low reading, so I didn't realize how high it really was. I know the people used pucks and the pool is pretty old. For what its worth the pool was sparkling clear every time I came to to the house for inspections and at closing.

I drained down to 1 foot of water in my shallow end and right now I have a hose in the very deepest part of the pool refilling it. My calculations estimate that is about a 40% water replacement and would get my CYA down to 120.

Questions:
  • I put the hose in the deep end in hopes of maybe not having the water mix too much on the top. Any chance that this is actually the case?
  • Should I run my sump pump while refilling the pool, or fill it all the way and then drain back down again? My biggest issue with running the sump pump and filling simultaneously is that I won't know how much water has been removed from the pool
  • Given that I live an area that usually decent amount of rain what is a reasonable CYA goal to shoot for given it will drift down over the summer? I hate wasting water and I'm sort of terrified of what my water bill will be, but this is my first season with a pool and I'd like it to go as smoothly as possible.

If you have drained all the way down to just one foot, you may have reduced CYA more than you think. That's a lot of water exchange. I would just fill it up and do a new CYA test to see where you stand and go from there. In your area of the country, once you get that CYA to about 50 or below you should be good. As long as you don't use pucks and cal-hypo shock products, it should never go up again unless you add stabilizer on purpose. Hope that helps.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.