Another new guy

This weekend I dove into the filter for the first time ever.
It looked like kitty litter in a war zone. It even had lots of purple glitter from the previous owner.

I cleaned the whole thing and the filter “blades” seem to be in good condition with no rips.

I put everything back together and now I need to ask about DE.

how much? How? when?

Thanks.

The instructions in the link Kim provided cover things well. When you pour the DE slurry into the skimmer, the slower the better. When you're done, note your "clean" filter pressure. When it raises by about 25%, you'll know it's time to do it again.

What did you decide on the drain? You can manage a CH of 675, but it will raise quickly during the warmer months with evaporation and top-offs unless you have a water softener.

The other challenge is your CYA @ 90. For a non-SWG pool you'll target 10-12 ppm for FC while dosing and the minimum you ever want your FC is 7 ppm. You'll need to test pH when FC is lower than 10 ppm as results are not accurate at levels above that.

Whatever you decide, lots of help here along the way...

Last edited:
What did you decide on the drain? You can manage a CH of 675, but it will raise quickly during the warmer months with evaporation and top-offs unless you have a water softener.

I thought about installing a water softener for the house in the next few months. Then make a plan of softening the pool water little by little.

Is it safe to swim with high CH? What are the effects or things to look for?

Thank you,

It is safe to swim in pools containing higher levels of calcium. However, high CH can lead to scaling if your calcium saturation index is not maintained. Keeping your CSI in the 0 to -0.30 will help keep scaling at bay. Read the article below on CSI. CSI can best be adjusted by maintaining proper levels of pH and TA.

Last edited:
Reactions: gleon and kimkats
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.