Another mustard algae question

belle4397

May 16, 2020
Chickamauga, GA
I have just finished the mustard algae protocol and my chlorine is on its way back down to normal. I noticed on the mustard algae chart, it listed a "mustard algae minimum" chlorine level. Since I've had mustard algae now, should I use that as my new minimum chlorine level? Or, if I followed the protocol, should I be safe to return to my normal chlorine levels based on my CYA? I don't close my pool in winter, so at the very least, would I be safer at the lower chlorine level when it's consistently cold out? Thanks!

cowboycasey

Gold Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 3, 2013
Fletcher, OK
It Depends :) that answer sucks doesn't it....

It "should" be good at the lower level and it will be until its not... Then you will need to do another SLAM... I never want to do a SLAM so I and others tend to keep there Free Chlorine level at a higher level. I keep mine between 5 and 7 FC... As for winter the chlorine use will go down but you still have to watch it and not let it go below the minimum...

Your pool will tell you what it needs just do not let it go below the minimum and you will be good... :)

belle4397

May 16, 2020
Chickamauga, GA
Ok, that makes sense. I will stick with the higher minimum for now then, since I am tired of slamming (and sadly I think I missed the last few days of pool weather because of this stupid algae 😭). Thank you!