Another electrical question (outlet)

dunginhawk

Bronze Supporter
Jul 10, 2018
CLIVE/IA
So I want to add an outlet (wall mount on concrete) right along side of my sub panel. Im comfortable wiring it up but I cant seem to find a weather enclosed wall mount gfci with enough room to house an adapter . The adapter is a fairly big one for the Rachio irrigation system im mounting over there.
This one would work Red Dot 1-Gang Weatherproof Heavy Duty Electrical Box Cover-CKLSVU-R - The Home Depot
But the back is not protected, so its not a wall mount.
Any ideas here?
thanks team

gray-boxes-brackets-5320-0-64_1000.jpg

It looks like the Rachio outdoor enclosure has a way to hard-wire the enclosure, which creates a socket inside of it. You can then fit the Rachio transformer inside of the Rachio outdoor enclosure, so you don't even need the outlet that you're looking at installing. Just run a short run of conduit between your load center and the Rachio outdoor enclosure and you're good...

Hawk,

I had the same issue. You can install kit as Rob indicates above using an outdoor receptacle box and then add the cover; this will meet electrical code requirements that I'm aware of and is completely functional. In my case I've got a higher authority, my wife. She failed my plans due to aesthetics. Even with the cover! So I forked out the additional $ for the Rachio exterior enclosure. It includes a single receptacle behind the Rachio board that has exactly enough room for the transformer to plug into. I added a photo below. It's a little cramped but there is room for the transformer and its wire if you tightly coil the wire and secure with a zip tie. Then you feed the low voltage plug and install to the Rachio board. It's the black wire bottom right. I secured to the stucco/concrete block wall with Tapcons. My installation has a few more wires in the box so I can turn on the pump start relay for the irrigation well. I've set it to access a local weather station about 4 miles away using my wifi network. Works fantastic, well water is "free" but my pump time has reduced dramatically with no bad affects on the landscaping and lawn.

I hope this helps.

Chris

1553093548114.jpeg

Ah ok.. so i have the Rachio outdoor enclosure coming I n the mail tomorrow.. ill check it out.. i can save the 100$ i was going to pay the electrician if all i have to do is put in a 5$ 15amp breaker. However there isn’t a great spot to feed the wire in, the hole is 1 1/4” which is a pretty thick piece of conduit.

How u guys like the Rachio? I was going to get rid of my etherain this year and add a rachio? I only use it for when I’m away if I want to water more than what my hunter panel is programmed for. I just run both along side each other bit was thinking about maybe even ditching the hunter panel and just use the rachio as long as I can still use my solar synch. I really like my solar synch.

So I haven’t installed it yet, I’m doing it for many reasons... Google assistant integration. I can ditch my old panel and move this WAY closer to my valve boxes (because trencher cut my wire like 9 times). And being able to do everything with voice, app, etc... Just going to be a lot better than a control box.. save money too based on its watering tech.

Any chance you know if the back of the rachio where you power it up (as you mention) is gfci. ? Otherwise ill have to put in a gfci circuit breaker which is like 35$ vs 5$ for the non gfci :)
Hawk,

I don't think it was a GFCI. I'll double check tomorrow but I'm almost certain it was not.

Sorry...

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
How u guys like the Rachio? I was going to get rid of my etherain this year and add a rachio? I only use it for when I’m away if I want to water more than what my hunter panel is programmed for. I just run both along side each other bit was thinking about maybe even ditching the hunter panel and just use the rachio as long as I can still use my solar synch. I really like my solar synch.

I'm very happy with the Rachio. In areas where watering is controlled it would be superb. It does "predictive" reductions in watering based on the local forecast and them checks to see if the rain actually materialized then makes further adjustments. It does a lot of other neat things that are really pretty nerdy. Now there are several competitors. Not sure which one is the leader currently.

Chris

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.