Annaul CYA Lost In Northern Climate

I live in Maine and we're opening our pool today. I just ran the tests and my CYA is really low too (<20) and upon opening last year, it was 60. All my readings are considerably lower this year so I'm thinking it is due to the fact that we got LOT more snow compared to the previous winter. I'm sure one of the more experienced folks will chime in soon but that's my not-so-educated guess. ;)

Depends on how much of the water from the summer you lost. If you are like me and have to pump water out due to rain over the winter, you'll lose some. How much depends on how much water you lose. Adding water into the pool, whether frozen or not, does not make you lose CYA, unless that frozen water displaces enough water out of the pool.

Of course....I had to pump about a foot of winter water off the cover and add another 10 inches to get it from below the jets to the the fill line. I didn't realize how much water I had added as I add water at the same time I am pumping off the cover so I don't get ground water behind my liner, until I stop to think. I can see now why the CYA is so low. Thanks all. S

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.