Anchor posts for safety cover?

riny

Aug 20, 2020
Poughkeepsie, NY
Here's another question in the "odd pool geography" series. As you can see in the photo below, this is a hybrid pool cut into the side of a hill. Everything around the pool is obviously temporary (plywood access, tarps to keep the loose dirt from blowing into the pool). We're planning now for a patio to hopefully get installed in the spring.

Our plan is to do a stone patio on the two sides on the left of this photo. On the right, where the slope drops away, it's too much for fill. That's the edge of our property anyway so we'll probably just plant some shrubs along the exposed side of the pool. Originally we were going to do a narrow walkway (wraparound wooden deck) on those two sides, but we really don't like the look of it. With a raised deck you need a railing, and we currently have a serene uninterrupted view off into the woods from the water. A deck and railing would really ruin the view.

Here's my question though: we'd like the ability to add a safety cover. This will be fine on the two sides where we have stone patio and we can add anchors. On the other two sides, can a safety cover be anchored to anything other than a level deck? Would it be possible to put in a couple of standalone posts for example, and anchor the cover to those?

20200828_103157.jpg

ajw22

Gold Supporter
TFP Guide
Jul 21, 2013
Northern NJ
Look at the choices of cover anchors at...

Lawn spikes or lawn pins can be put in the soil. Or you can put pipe anchors in concrete. You will need to build up some ground around the pool to be more level with the pool to put the anchors into. I am not sure how long the straps can be to go down to the anchors on lower ground. I suggest you see if there is a local company who installs pool covers who can look at your situation and advise you on what can be done.